don't miss the Germinids mteor shower tonight

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
After 10 est
General information about the Geminids

The Geminids meteor shower is the final major meteor shower of the year and also the most consistent shower in terms of putting on fruitful display. This annual meteor shower has been observed for over 500 years and is active from December 7th through December 17th. The Geminids are distinguished by their multi-colored display. Observers below may be treated so several colors—65% white, 26% yellow, and the remaining 9%, green, blue, and red.

Meteors streak through the night sky at a moderate speed, which makes them less difficult to miss when compared to faster meteors. The Geminids are extremely bright and are every so often capable of producing fireballs.

While this annual spectacular appears to radiate from a constellation, they are actually caused by the Earth passing through the dust particles of the comet 3200 Phaethon. Each autumn, Earth passes into a trail of dust left by this comet, and as a result, all the dust and debris burning up in our atmosphere, travelling at a very fast 21.75 miles per second, produces the spectacle known as the Geminids meteor shower, or what are popularly recognized as "shooting stars".

There's no danger to sky watchers, though. The fragile grains disintegrate long before they reach the ground. While the meteors are certainly bright, they are typically not much larger than a grain of sand. However, as they travel at immense speeds, these tiny particles put on an impressive show.

Did you see that meteor shower about ten years ago? I don't remember which is was but it was really hyped in the news and it really lived up to the hype. There was at least one very bright meteor per minute and they were all green. It was like fireworks. Unreal.

I did, sat out for three hours & got about 20 minutes of break in the clouds..Well worth it though!

Back