Now you've done it!

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
my wife is officially ticked at you guys.

I read up on homey-made soda blasters last night and got all fired up. Found time this afternoon to dig out the gun for that POS Crapsman sandblaster I threw away, and tried it.

Woooooooooo! Sucked up one whole box of SWMBO's baking soda, but my top triple clamp is completely bare, including the residue from those nasty rubber spacers for the handlebar mounts.

I WILL be going to MegaLo Mart and buying the handy 5 gallon bucket of soda...

Yep. I feel ya. My wife yells at me every time she goes into the garage. "When are you gonna get all of this sh*t outta here". I got motorcycle parts in every nook and cranny I can fit them in. Now I've brought home a 77 K5 Blazer. Which I'll be filling the garage up with parts for that also. If I could only get her to start parking outside I would have more room.

Hah. My wife has been throwing/giving stuff away for a while now. She says "I want to get rid of all this clutter so the kids don't have to deal with it when we croak."

I said, "Fine, but YOU STAY OUT OF MY FREAKIN' GARAGE!" Between working on old bikes and even older tractors (a 1938 Farmall) my garage reeks of old varnished gas and 90wt gear oil. Throw in a little eau de welding smoke and a spritz of grinding dust, and the only time she sets foot in there is to back the car out.

I love it when a plan comes together...:thumbsup:

I just got my homemade soda blaster together too. Used it on a set of carb bodies for a snowmobile. It worked pretty good. I need to work on the siphon tube though.

I had baking soda all over the driveway, in my hair, everywhere! :laugh:

Last time I used the soda blaster I was a little too close to the lawn and a bunch got washed into some new sod when I sprayed the driveway down. That sod turned yellow, will have to wait until spring to see how it comes out. The wife was pissed of course.

Megalomart is a great place to shop, especially for propane and propane accessories, that Buckley sure knows his stuff (ha)

Last time I used the soda blaster I was a little too close to the lawn and a bunch got washed into some new sod when I sprayed the driveway down. That sod turned yellow, will have to wait until spring to see how it comes out.

Oh shit.... I got a bunch in the lawn too.. Should be interesting in the spring!

I'm wondering if I could use an old spray gun for soda blasting as I've got one that not much good for painting anymore.

As for getting soda on the lawn-- can chickens burp?

Hah. My wife has been throwing/giving stuff away for a while now. She says "I want to get rid of all this clutter so the kids don't have to deal with it when we croak."

I said, "Fine, but YOU STAY OUT OF MY FREAKIN' GARAGE!" Between working on old bikes and even older tractors (a 1938 Farmall) my garage reeks of old varnished gas and 90wt gear oil. Throw in a little eau de welding smoke and a spritz of grinding dust, and the only time she sets foot in there is to back the car out.

I love it when a plan comes together...:thumbsup:

If she gives you crap about the garage then ask her if it's okay if you use the living room. I mean, seriously, do people actually use garages for parking cars? It seems such a waste. :bike:

My garage was stacked and packed when we got married so she knows better. Basement too...I gots collections 2 2 many....actually purging on my own.
I bought a blaster with a reservoir attached.....works great....better than soaking in harsh chemicals.

On a vintage snowmobile site I frequent, guys there have talked about using a small one or 2 man dome tent to soda blast in. Cut some small hole's and duct tape some rubber long guantlet gloves to the holes. Run the airline in the door and zipper it shut. Maybe hook your shop vac or a box fan near the mesh on one of the walls or roof. Start blasting

On a vintage snowmobile site I frequent, guys there have talked about using a small one or 2 man dome tent to soda blast in. Cut some small hole's and duct tape some rubber long guantlet gloves to the holes. Run the airline in the door and zipper it shut. Maybe hook your shop vac or a box fan near the mesh on one of the walls or roof. Start blasting

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I love stuff like that. Finding a new use for something anyone else would throw away. I shall have to start cruising the neighborhood on Trash Day...:laugh:

Back