Tail of the Dragon

The tail is a beautiful piece of roadway but my pace leaves traffic backed up behind me. I should not worry about that but I do and finding a "safe" place to pull over is very hard in those winding 11 miles. I ride as fast as I can comfortably see and on the "Tail" I can rarely see the corner exit. Tumbling off a bike at 19 years old is far different than tumbling at 66.

The tail is a beautiful piece of roadway but my pace leaves traffic backed up behind me. I should not worry about that but I do and finding a "safe" place to pull over is very hard in those winding 11 miles. I ride as fast as I can comfortably see and on the "Tail" I can rarely see the corner exit. Tumbling off a bike at 19 years old is far different than tumbling at 66.
I’ve yet to ride a bike on this road but I would be a slow poke. When driving on 4 wheels I’ll always pull off to the side when it’s safe to do so. If there’s no pull off, the people behind me will have to wait. The crazies will pass when they shouldn’t. Mind you, when I’m driving, I’m not travelling at a snails pace but at the same time, I am not trying to set a speed record.

I got to go up and down the tail a few years ago. Unfortunately not on my own bike, had to rent a Sportster (go ahead, make fun of me). But it was still fun. Went on a Thursday afternoon so no traffic, no congestion, no pressure.
It was fun and I'd love to do it again.

I got to go up and down the tail a few years ago. Unfortunately not on my own bike, had to rent a Sportster (go ahead, make fun of me). But it was still fun. Went on a Thursday afternoon so no traffic, no congestion, no pressure.
It was fun and I'd love to do it again.
I was considering renting a bike but thought it would be better to ride my own. Perhaps next year I’ll be able to make it to the Vintage Yamaha meet in September.

I was considering renting a bike but thought it would be better to ride my own. Perhaps next year I’ll be able to make it to the Vintage Yamaha meet in September.
I am a full day's worth of riding from Deal's Gap so I did not have the luxury of having my own bike there. I was flying over Knoxville so I landed, rented the Harley and rode the Tail. At least to be able to say that I rode it. I wish to return on my own bike, though.

If you want to watch the crazy guy - 9:09 minutes. Dare I say idiot - on a public road.
If you want to watch the crazy guy - 9:09 minutes. Dare I say idiot - on a public road.
I still have other granddaughters. I could go that fast for ONE corner but facilities for cleaning the skivvies are far and few between. I will sniff the flowers and pull over when it is safe instead.

Wife and I... Dragon Slayers.... 😎

Attachments

• Dragon Xs.jpg
    Dragon Xs.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
I lived 5 miles from Dahlonega for 10 years. I love that place. I’ve ridden just about everything North Georgia has to offer. It has some of the best motorcycling roads the world has to offer.
These days, I see billboards advertising Dahlonega all over the Southeast. Too many people ruin it for me. Since we moved in 2019, I believe Lumpkin County population has increased by 5,000!
My oldest son lives in Fannin County between Blue Ridge and Mccaysville. You are right, tons of great roads in that area of North Georgia. Suches, The old T.W.O. Turners Corner, etc.
Come to think of it we rode together up there on a Sunday, many moons ago.

I don't go there just to ride it, but I do take people there to tick off an item on their bucket list. The last trip was on the FJR but I've had my XS650 bike there.
My three goals in riding a MC: 1) Get home in one piece. 2) Get home in one piece 3) Have fun. These days fun is at a more sedate pace than in my twenties.
ToD resized.jpg

Back