Trip to D.C.

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm flying a piper aztec into Gaithersburg, MD and spending a couple days sightseeing around D.C. on sunday and leaving wednesday.

I'd fly in closer but i really don't feel like taking a light twin into Dulles (not to mention the fuel prices there :eek:) the plan is to stay in gaithersburg and take a the tram into town each day.

so, to all you MD'ers, other than the usual capital and smithsonian stuff, anything you guys recommend doing while i'm down there? keep in mind i won't have a car

Thanks all

Tomb of the unknown soldier, changing of the guards. Public subways will take you most everywhere you want to go. I took a trip out there a few years back and was really taken back. All of the monuments are amazing.

I wonder how many tons of limestone and granite are in DC?

Vietnam memorial is a somber experience, the US Archives, museum of natural history. There is an annex of the Air and Space at Dulles that has a lot more stuff than downtown. When you go into the A&S on the mall look straight ahead, there is a piece of the moon you can touch, kind of stupid but I touch it everytime I go there. Too bad the old naval medical museum is gone, it had some awesomely gruesome stuff on display.

awesome thanks for all the ideas, looks like i got some sight seeing to do

i'm a marine so all the military stuff is a must - unfortunately the Marine Barracks only runs tours on wednesday @ 10:00 am (will be on my way back by then, and the evening parade only goes on fridays. actually got a buddy who's in the silent drill team at 8th and I

I'm a pilot so the air and space museum is also a must and i'll definitely be touching a chunk of the moon. i've heard the Dulles annex is better than the actual air and space museum, not sure if i'll be able to get out that way though - kinda makes me wish fuel wasn't $8.00/gallon at Dulles, otherwise i might fly in there...

Back