8 Pack Clutch Mod

Oh, the XS650's not bad, but nothing like anything new from Japan at least in the last 10 or 20 years. The clutch plates still drag a little no matter what you do.

The only mod that might help the shifting would be something that opens the pressure plate farther so there is less drag.
I compared the amount the pressure plate on the XS and my H-D. The H-D opens about 3/8 inch, the XS about 1/8 inch.
A pull clutch conversion might do that, one that pulls the pressure plate open from the right side instead of pushing it from the left.
Leo

I have the 750 kit from mikes, port n polish, and roundslides, and had to switch to the barnett clutch springs from MMM. I'm due for carpal tunnel with these stiffer clutch springs! This 8 clutch plate mod is a necessity! Thanks Punkskalar for your work!

Once I get my clutch off my engine I plan on joining the 8 plate club if I can. I may not be making the hp like some here, but there are still plenty of benefits regardless. Plus I know the clutch will still be there with some more spirited driving as well.

hey hugh, how did you hold onto the pressure plate when you machined it? i cant seem to think of a way to hold it in the 4 jaw lathe i have here at work. thoughts?

THAT is a fantastic idea! now im going to use your ideas and market a product!

just kidding :)

but really, i hadnt thought of that. props!

The problem of hard shifting could stem from not having a real drive cushion like most bikes have on the rear wheel. The older British bikes had the same problem.

Last edited:
Hi All, I just found this forum. Some great stuff on here!

Reading this thread made me go hunt through my old XS650 pics. I had a similar idea a few years back. Back in 2001 I was building a 919cc stroker motor and figured It'd need a decent clutch to take all the torque. Especially considering how easily the stock clutch would slip on a stock motor.

I had a few spare clutches on the shelf and mix and matched parts. I machined out the basket and the pressure plate to squeeze in an extra steel and friction to make an 8 plate. I don't have many progress pics of the build as I was pretty new to digital photography then (I think I was borrowing the camera from work).

full

I used some aftermarket kevlar frictions. Not sure what brand, they may have been Barnett. I know the springs I used are Barnett. Unfortunately I never got it all together and running as a 919. I was in a hurry to go riding and put a stock motor in. A while after that I injured my back and the bike got put away and hasn't been ridden since.

I'll be watching this thread to see how it works out.

I pulled the bike out the other day and dusted it off. I'm keen to give it a freshen up and get it going again. Had a few ideas for things I'd like to do different this time.

Cheers

Mike

Hugh I was curious if you would ever offer an exchange process for stock basket and everything for a machined setup someday. I don't have access to a lathe and I would pry hurt myself if I did. I'm going to do a full top end rebuild this winter and will be running the je 700cc setup and want a clutch that will hold up.

www.specII.com now offer an 8 plate kit for the xs650. part # 29656, $75.00 USD. I haven't checked but I'm assuming that it's Alto 2.49 mm friction plates and standard steels.

Using the clutch modded to use 8 stock plates, Could you use 9 of those 2.49 Alto plates?
Leo

Yes. Stealing the measurements and methods from the other 8 plate clutch thread on here, Total stack height of the original 7 friction plates and 6 steels is 29.4 mm. 8 steels @ 1.4 mm = 11.2 mm, 9 frictions @ 2.49 = 22.41 mm, total stack height = 33.61 mm. Need to machine 4.2 mm from inside the clutch basket. To use the existing 8 plate method with original thickness friction plates requires 4.4 mm extra inside the basket. So a clutch modified as per Hugh's method will take 9 plates with room to spare.

Back