8 Pack Clutch Mod

Hugh, you thinking about doing this service for other people much like you have with rephasing and other goodies?

Honestly, I have received about 15 emails and PM's about this, so it is highly likely once I have it tested to make sure there are no quirks or bugs to work out...

Hugh

I found a place that has 2.5 mm clutch plates. Using these plates gives you room to add 1 fiber and 1 steel plate to the unmodified baket and hub. That would be 7 in the later clutch and 8 in the early. In the modded basket and hub that might get 9 in there.
I have to contact the place to check.
Alto Parts Corp 251-368-7777
Alto Way e-mail sales@altousa.com
Atmore AL 36504
They don't have a website. I put 2.5 mm motorcycle clutch plates in google and a parts list from these guys came up and they list 2,5 mm plates for the XS650.
Leo

Hugh still amazes me. Keepin' the bikes alive and advancing the technology.
Keep it up Hugh. Your work is forever changing the XS in a great way.
Thanks for all the hard work you put into these little bikes.

Here's more information about the alto friction plates. XS650 plates are identical to those used in an XS1100, so I ended up looking at XS11.com and found that the XS11 guys are doing a similar mod to their bikes, using alto plates to convert from an 8 plate to 9 plate clutch with good results. There is a website www.spec2.com that is selling 9 plates for an xs11 clutch for $79.50 (part # 29110). Alternatively on XS11, a member called JustJeff is offering to sell them for $12.99 a plate, although this post is a few years old.

this is a dumb question, but what is the benefit of more friction plates? More durable? easier to operate?

There ya go :)

In my builds, I often get some clutch slippage, and its not uncommon in race bikes at all. More clutch disks = more clutch surface area = more power getting from the crank to the transmission instead of slipping...

I like to pull the wheel, slip the clutch and drift around corners, etc... A stock clutch doesn't seem to enjoy that abuse :laugh:

The pressure from the clutch springs is the same between each of the plates. Friction is increased by one time each plate added. So two plates holds twice as much as one and three holds three times and so on. Extra plates are much better than the obvious heavy springs.

That's why a normal human can pull the clutch on a Hyabusa. The darn thing must have 40 plates! 8^)

Tom

Last edited:
I've got some updates - but I'm in the middle of moving shops, trying to buy a house, and offering new services... I'll do some more testing and get back to ya :)

Boo-yah Son!

DSCN0689.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

I'm now part of the 8-plate crew, I'll hopefully get some real tests with this on my turbo bike in a few months.

We need to get some more members doing this! we need more in the crew.
It's easier than I thought it would be.

Back