Tappets

No, there is plenty of room under the covers. I cut mine down to reduce the weight, then cut a straight screwdriver slot.
Leo

I didn't cut the screws I installed in mine several years ago and have had no problems to date. I do cut the screws now, removing a quarter inch or so .....

ScrewsCut.jpg

I've also changed the method I use for grinding the rockers. I used to grind the whole bottom off like so .....

ElephantsFootandStock.jpg

Now, I just open the bottom of the threaded hole up more with a stone in a die grinder .....

GroundRocker.jpg

The nice thing about this method is it can be done with the rockers still installed.

5twins, I really like your new method of grinding the rocker arms. I've not planned to do the elephant adjusters because I assumed I had to take the engine out of the frame, and remove the rocker arms to the bench. Are you saying that I could grind the rocker arms, simply by working through the normal valve adjuster access ports?

Hey, RG. He meant with the rockers still installed in the rockerbox cover. You have to screw-in the adjusters from the bottom of the rockers, not enuff room unless you dismantle...

Yes, the top cover needs to come off but the rockers can stay in it. You wrap it all up in rags leaving just the top of the rocker you're grinding exposed. Basically, you need to taper the hole deep enough so the angled portion of the "foot" will fit up into it. That allows the screw to be backed off enough so it's not hitting the cam lobes (and holding a valve open) during dis-assembly/assembly. Here's a "before" and "after" shot .....

Unground.jpg

FootInstalled2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend tearing an engine apart just to do this mod. If you have the engine apart doing other things, then do this.
I think this mod has many advantages. Quieter, more precise adjustments that don't need doing as often.
Leo

Looks like with either method, about one-third of the original threads in the rocker arm are lost - any concern for increased sheer load on the remaining ones?

As I recall this mod was originally done on the SR 500. It has been used for many years. I think somewhere in the 70's or 80's. 30 to 40 years and no problems, so I don't think there is an issue.
This mod does weaken the rocker. Even with about 4 mm or 1/3 of the arm and threads missing it is still more than strong enough. I think that if any problems occurred We would have heard of them by now.
Leo

Back