Clutch push rod help...

livingdeadmc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm just on the very last leg of my build and need some help with the clutch push rod.

I bought the bike in boxes with the motor disassembled. The bottom half of the motor was still together so it wasn't really touched during reassembly.

My question is how do I know what's all in there as far as the clutch push rod assembly goes? Can I take a magnet and pull the bearing and inner rod (if they are in there) out?

Currently there is nothing (rod wise) sticking out of the hole where the rod goes....if I put a probe in there it goes in maybe an inch or so before it stops.

I just want to know what I need to purchase and what I already have....

Thanks!

I suggest you buy a pushrod seal first.
Then pull the old seal, get a small magnet and pull out the bearing and inner pushrod. If they are there.
If not no prob. You can then buy either the one piece pushrod or the two. YouTube videos for how to install the pushrod then ball bearing then second pushrod (chamfer the edge before putting new seal in)
A ball bearing also goes in the worm gear.

Cheers, Peter

Posted via Mobile

I suggest you buy a pushrod seal first.
Then pull the old seal, get a small magnet and pull out the bearing and inner pushrod. If they are there.
If not no prob. You can then buy either the one piece pushrod or the two. YouTube videos for how to install the pushrod then ball bearing then second pushrod (chamfer the edge before putting new seal in)
A ball bearing also goes in the worm gear.

Cheers, Peter

Posted via Mobile

Thanks man!

I would get 2 seals You are likely to screw up the first one.
I champered the lip before I reinstalled the seal too. that made it saeser to install without screwing up the seal.

+1 on Carbon's suggestion to chamfering the lip. little grease on the seal and it went in no problem. i swapped out to a single rod and i can easily find neutral whether it's hot or cold, at a stop, wherever. i also replaced the metal bushing behind the seal while i was in there. no leaks so far.

Installing the long push rods is easy.
Step #1 Remove the outer of the two piece rod.
Step #2 Remove the ball.
Step #3 Remove inner of the two piece rod.
Step #4 Install long rod.
Your done.
Leo

Yes, but getting that ball out through the seal can be difficult, sometimes impossible. I pulled my clutch pressure plate and pushed the old parts out that way with the new long rod.

I guess I should have said if your replacing the seal then do the rod removal when the seal is out.
That should probably be done anyway. Those two piece rods with the extra movement side to side tend to wear the seal excessively.
Leo

I'm about to put a ball into my clutch push rod assembly and thought I better check with someone who might know something about this. Here's what happened. I started my motor with the left case off because I wanted to test my carburetor and, guess what happened? Yup, the push rod popped out and oil spilled. Sometime later I found a single ball on my outdoor concrete slab (miracle in itself). I'm guessing it came from between the outer pushrod and the next one because my adjuster appears to have a ball in it. It's round, shiny and I can wiggle it around so it's not the end of the adjuster screw. Does anybody know if the ball between the pushrods can pop out if one starts the motor with the case off?

Well, I suppose that's possible. Just when I think I've heard it all, something new pops up, lol. The balls in the assembly are 5/16". I know, that sounds wrong for a "metric" bike but that's what Yamaha chose to use.

I can actually give some advice from recent experience... If you go with the one piece rod, make sure there is ONLY ONE BALL BEARING on each end, (one in the adjuster, and one on the clutch side.) The PO of my bike had two on the clutch side and drove me nuts trying to figure out why the rod wasn't going in far enough. You might check the push screw housing while you're in there as well for cracks.

Back