What have you done to your XS today?

Just bought an 81 xs650 special 2 with 3768 miles on it. Will have to put a new wiring harness in it as well as clean carbs and general chrome cleaning and such. Cost me $300, think I got a good deal!

Just bought an 81 xs650 special 2 with 3768 miles on it. Will have to put a new wiring harness in it as well as clean carbs and general chrome cleaning and such. Cost me $300, think I got a good deal!

This POST is
ttwp.gif

:wink2:

A little rusty but should polish up pretty. DEAL!
Get up in tech and read the "new to me" thread. Will save a you a lot of work and pain!

Today I decided I needed to try out a baffle but do it without having to cut off the turn out and weld it back on. I was looking online for a "flexible" baffle and apparently there's one out there but they're over $100...nah, not gonna happen.

I went to home depot to pick up a 90 degree bend of 1/2" conduit to make one similar to the old ones I used in the original header pipes but with a curve. $2.92 ahhhh that's better.

I think it just might work
20140901_130642.jpg

I made the cuts and flared the ends, but it's only about 5" in length all together so I'm not sure how much effect it will have
20140901_132031.jpg

and jammed in
20140901_132305.jpg

I started it up and it definitely sounds different than it did. Way less high end slap...that's about the only way I can describe it. With no baffles there's just this annoying high frequency ear piercing slap to the exhaust and that had definitely been tamed down by these little shorty baffles. I took a video that I'll post, but it's hard to tell any difference from the other video I posted but there absolutely is. I'm not sure but I'm thinking about including some fiberglass wrapped around the center of the baffle and see what happens.

Here is the video, sound doesn't really do it justice but oh well

I'm fealin Ya airwolfieman. :banghead:

I just got around to getting my carbs on this evening
15130535701_9861ca3e36_c.jpg

I need to set the valves and it just occurred to me I don't know where to stop the engine to set the right cylinder :laugh: Guess I'll figure it out:wink2:

Looked at my baby in the bikeport and cranked 'er up just to hear her run. I don't trust the rear tire anymore. New matching Shenko 712 rear tire should be here late tomorrow and I can get it mounted Friday.

Last week I retorqued the cylinder head and yes, my son was right, that did fix the annoying little oil leak.
Yesterday I finally got around to changing the dead lighbulb in my speedo and fixing the trip odometer zeroing knob that'd just started spinning on it's shaft instead of turning it.
Drilled out the epoxy from the last fix and shoved it back on. Working OK so far.
Unexpected bonus, found a far better class of rubber case-to-instrument seal in my parts stash and installed it, too.
Alas, the speedo part has been running kinda slow for years but the odometers still work perfectly. Too cheap to pony up for a good replacement.

Adjusted the valves.
Also when I put on the kickstart pedal I instantly knew the kickstart has been installed incorrectly. Now that's sad for sure.
I would never install the right side cover with out checking that first.
It is so easy to check if it is working or not with cover off.:banghead:
So I will be taking off the right side cover. exhaust and rear brake linkage
At least I have been waiting to put in the oil. :)
So after fixing kickstart
putting on the valve covers
and fuel tank
then adding the oil
She should be ready for startup

Not today, but last night I finally re-installed the stock mufflers on my 76 XS650C (after discovering a PO had left out the muffler gasket on the right side). So... armed with new gaskets (obtained locally) and the muffler nut tool (thanks MikesXS for the quick delivery), I proceeded with what I thought would be a quick installation.

Got the job done and it's good to go, but it took a lot longer than I anticipated. Too many joints, bolts, nuts, hangers that had to be finessed to get both sides properly mounted. Tighten one side a hair too much, and it makes it difficult to work on the opposite side muffler. So go back... loosen things a hair... return to the opposite side for another attempt. What I thought would be a half hour job at most, turned into about an hour and a half. This stock system is a good argument for a 2-1 system (not to mention rear wheel removal is made a bit more difficult). But I do like the looks and sound of the stock setup! :) Next time I do this (very likely this winter when I really tear into the bike), I'll be well aware and the job, I'm sure, will go quicker.

You almost got it Carbon! Way to go man.:thumbsup:
You'll be riding soon.:bike: I hope you get some video while your at it.

It shouldn't be long now
Thanks Man!
I'll be pullin the sidecover off in a little while and get the kickstarter corrected.
I'll be shooting video fror sure.
Have a good time on that ride this weekend Bro.

I removed the right side cover and the kickstarter was indeed in there wrong and missing the washer that rests between the kick cclip and the inside cover
15148078851_764060f161_c.jpg

14964487028_6378f858c1_c.jpg

Back