XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

Notices

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Default "Scrambler" Sidecar build

After searching for nearly a year I found a decent XS to bolt my Velorex 562 sidecar to:

Its an 81 Special, I was really wanting a standard but I think I can make this work. So far I have swapped the bars and seat and mocked up the MX bars and seat off my 73 Yamaha RT-360 enduro. Not so sure about the seat and the bars but it gives me a starting point.

Heres the sidecar when it was mounted to the recently departed GS-850:

Furious D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Default Re: "Scrambler" Sidecar build

I really want to keep this build within a budget of $1500 so I am going to try and recycle some parts I have up in the attic.

Turnsignals/Taillight of my Triumph. If I go this route it will sit another 3" higher on the fender:

I need to figure out what to do with the master cylinder. Its way out of level with this style bars .

Next week I hope to start mounting the car to the bike but it looks like my plan will need some modification with the stock exhaust. I intend to go with a high-pipe setup from GordonScott but I may have to wait a while until I pay off a few Christmas bills.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
XSLeo
XS650 Guru

77, 78 and I think 79 standards used a flat M/C.
Leo

The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try.
75 XS650B with a few mods, Dual disc brakes up front, Disc on rear, Pamcopete Ignition with the green coil, Radio Shack rectifier and Chrysler regulator, LED tail/brake and turnsignals. 750 kit,1.5 headepipes, Emgo shorty mufflers.
XSLeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
RFLIVES
Resident Sidecar nut

just picked up a f4i master cylinder off ebay for 30 bucks
RFLIVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Furious D
XS650 Addict

I dont think these are the bars I am going to use , I think a little wider flat trck bars will be better.

I 'll keep an eye out for another MC. Is the F4i a direct bolt on? Same line sizes?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
RFLIVES
Resident Sidecar nut

I'm putting that one on a cx500 cafe I'm building for a friend but it has the same size line and the bore size good
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Furious D
XS650 Addict

A little progress today:

The exhaust is going to have to go if I want to use the subframe I drew up, I really want to buy a set of Gordons high pipes anyway. The geometry is pretty close

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Sidecar mounts are pretty much done. Mounted my $15 solo seat off a 69 Yamaha AT-1. Changed the bars to a set of Triumph Scrambler ones but I still might look for something wider.

I dont know if I am going to use the Scrambler taillight, It looks a little large.. Might cut a few inches off the fender too. I'll probably seperate the car and bike for the last time tonight and do a little brake and suspension work but its 50F here today so I'm going out riding.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
5twins
XS650 Guru

I might be doing a sidecar on a 650 for a guy this summer. Can you show some details of the mounts? And did you use a subframe?

'78E Standard and 4 Euro twins
5twins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
RFLIVES
Resident Sidecar nut

Looking good let me know if you need any mounting bit's. Wishing I had gone the simple route now
Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
gruff54
XS650 Enthusiast

Furious D,
Could you post some close-ups of how/where you've mounted to the bike frame? I'm still in the planning stage of my XS/Velorex build(been there a long time!). Really been leaning towards a sub-frame, primarily from the final tuning/adjusting aspect. Afraid I'll get it hung then get it all out of whack when I go to fine tune it. Also, love that seat! Any more pics of it? Thanks.
gruff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Furious D
XS650 Addict

I removed the car last night to do some maintenance on the bike but I will take some pics when its back together of the mounts. As I posted earlier I intend to build a subframe in the future but I want to change exhaust first.

The seat is just a Yamaha AT-1 one. I have a 73 RT-3 and thought its seat was about the perfect size. About any pre-77 enduro seat will be close. I was able to use the original front latch of the 81 seat pan but I need to figure out the back mount yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Heres a few pics of the mounts:

Fabbed the lower rear out of a industrial I-bolt and attached it to where the center stand bolted to. Yep, I need a rear tire but I'm having a hard time finding a dual-sport tire in 130/90 16"

Still having some clearance issues with the lower front mount when the exhaust is bolted on.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
5twins
XS650 Guru

..... that's where a subframe might help you. It might also allow you to mount the car lower. Years ago I had this same Velorex mounted on first a /5 BMW, then a /2 model. The car worked and rode much better on the /2, partly because it mounted up lower. This is a light car and can be very prone to lifting in right hand turns. With the /5, I carried a plastic 5 gallon gas can filled with sand as "ballast" when driving with no one in the car. On the /2, I didn't need that any more.

'78E Standard and 4 Euro twins
5twins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Furious D
XS650 Addict

In the long run I want to make the car and the bike a little higher. I had the start of a subframe mocked up but it would have been too low with the factory exhaust in place.

I ran a deep-cycle marine battery in the last setup behind the seat that weighed around 60 Lbs. Next time I remove the tub from the frame I also have a steel plate that weighs around 30Lbs that I will mount to the chassis . But before that happens the frame and suspension will be strengthed as well as a heavier wheel, The Velorex one is pretty light duty.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
Furious D
XS650 Addict

I have not had much time to work on the bike lately but I am back on it:

Added a set of Scrambler shocks I found cheap and a new tire. The shocks look like they will work nicely with a height of 14". Tires a Trailwing in 120/90/16 which I found was the factory one for a Honda NX-250. I lucked out and found it from bikebandit on clearance for less than $60 shipped to me.

I'm waiting on a few parts from Mikes then a little wiring and it should be ready for a ride. I will probably ride it solo for a couple weeks then bolt the car to it. Still need to decide on exhaust high-pipes or down low but I'm sure I want it exit on the left side to eliminate any clearance problems with the car mount.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Furious D
XS650 Addict

First test drive , I didnt go to far because I dont have a the taillight wired up yet.

Still a lot of little things to do and the cars alignment needs a little tweaking.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
turn left
Go Fast & Turn Left

I like your addition of the oval # plate; gives it an Isle of Man TT look..
Attached Thumbnails
DaneRowe8negro3.jpg  
turn left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Its pretty much back together and I have taken it for a few short test rides. I am surprised its pretty peppy , I thought I would have to change sprockets before using it but I have not hauled a passenger yet.

I still have a little work to do like finishing the side covers and a little wiring for the sidecar. I gave up tonight on trying to get the fork gaitor to slip on.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Furious D
XS650 Addict

Finally this thing is what I would call roadworthy. I have put around 600 miles on it so far and have most of the bugs worked out of it. It handles pretty well, I just got back from a 40 mile dirt and gravel road ride and I was pleased with they way it handles in the loose stuff. I wish I had rode the bike in this configuration before I bolted the car to it. I bet it would be fun off road, Maybe I will remove the sidecar and take it for a trail ride in the fall.

For now I am just going to ride it . In the off season I want to change the exhaust and I need to come up with a funky paint scheme.