Post Classic Sidecar

Signal

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For the past couple of years a friend and I have been building a post classic sidecar using an XS 650.
We really had no idea how to go about this but have had fantastic support from the local sidecar guys who have been extremely helpful.
Ideally we would have used 10 x 5 inch rims but we had a couple of 16 inch rear mag wheels on hand so they were refurbished and put to use for the front and back wheels. The wheel for the front was modified to carry another disc. The platform wheel is off a mini using a trailer stub axel.
We also had some XS discs and callipers which were also refurbished. A standard XS swing arm was shortened and braced and some new bushes made.
Laying it out on the table this is roughly where we were, next to get some idea of how to proceed we got some electrical conduit and started bending.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 503
After correcting a huge mistake with the steering head height we started bending some steel tube.

Next came the front end it was made adjustable to alter the trail in case we made a mistake following the critical dimensions we were given.
Later we swapped the front tyre to a lower profile to give clearance under the steering stem.
Then the deck and fuel tank were added and the kneeler unit plug (not really the right term) made.

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 635
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 871
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 628
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 554
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 612
The exhausts started to be made.

This was all taking so long that parts of the frame had started to rust. Ideally we would have liked to use the bike a bit before painting the frame so modifications could be made without removing paint. However we decided paint the frame rather than let it deteriorate further.

Further along and starting the wiring. Note the motor top stay, it was too light and broke at our first outing.

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 513
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 545
We had a few problems at our first outing but hopefully these are resolved now, and we have bought a fairing.

When it is fitted the bodywork will be painted. The bike handles well and the brakes are great.
The motor goes reasonable well considering it is the one from my road bike and not highly tuned. It is has 750cc, 277 rephase, web 59a cam, Probe ignition. Hopefully it will hold together until the race motor is built.
As the bike is now weight 210kg fuelled up.
It has been a great fun to build and has kept us both sane this past winter.

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 526
Hi Signal,
that's a nice rig. For a first attempt it's an incredibly nice rig.
"a few problems at our first outing" eh?
Me too.
My first and only sidecar driving lesson; from the guy who sold me the 16H/Swallow rig:-
"Watch it Kid, these things steer funny."
I'd nearly gotten the rig home before I forgot to watch it and yes, then it did steer funny.
Only a sturdy steel railing stopped me and the rig from a 20' dive into the River Avon's low tide mudbank.
And when you consider that the River Avon has been carrying Bristol's sewage seaward for ~900 years, "Mud" is a euphemism.

That looks really good! Not sure where you will be sitting though!? Any pics with you and your buddy on it?

Hi wolfie,
they won't be sitting anywhere. That racing outfit is a "kneeler".
The driver kneels with his shins in the troughs each side of the bike frame in a position that looks like he's doing naughty things to the carbs.
The passenger, AKA "the monkey" acts as a moveable ballast, flinging himself behind the driver or atop the sidecar wheel fender as need arises.

Fred, gggGary and Airwolfie thanks for the positive comments.
Fred yes they are a different animal completely from a solo, we are still boys in short pants learning as we go.
Airwolfie it’s a kneeler the rider kneels with knees in the troughs. There is a photo of us sitting on the bike somewhere; I will try to get a copy of it.

- - - they are a different animal completely from a solo, we are still boys in short pants learning as we go. - - -

Hi Signal,
[edit] I'm sure you and your passenger learned these things during your first race but [end edit]
here's what I've been told or have found out for myself over the years.
Rigs DON'T countersteer. The way you turn the bars is the way you'll go.
Turns towards the sidecar; brake before the turn, accelerate round it.
Turns away from the sidecar; enter the turn at road speed, decelerate round it.
Throttle steering; more power turns towards the sidecar, less power turns away.
If the front tire looses grip, throttle steering still works.
And you'd be amazed at how far a sidecar wheel can lift before it flips.

Last edited:
Thanks, and yes it puts a grin on your face that lasts about a week.
At the moment designing a new top engine mount and will pick up the fairing early December.

So glad I checked in on this thread. Normally, sidehacks are not my thing but the racers are an entirely different breed of cat.

VERY nice work, looking forward to progress on next year's season, and of course more pictures.

Dare one hope for some video?

Thank you Downeaster, will post some more pictures. Will try to do a video, but that's going to stretch my computer skills. Next meeting is in about a month, but will get some photo's after we get the fairing on.

Back