XS2 turn signal switch restoration. What color markings

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's kinda late to ask now that it's all ready done. But, I seen a NOS switch on ebay. I may or may not have used the wrong color paint.

I used red for everything since I seen a picture of a NOS right side switch, and all the marking's were red.

Then I seen a NOS XS1 switch. The light on/off is red, so I'm ok there. But the turn signal switch has a white line. I made mine red. Also the H/L is black. Of course that won't work on my XS2 since my switch housing is black,,,so I made it red.

All in all I think it turned out pretty good. I used VHT epoxy roll bar and chassis paint for the black, and red auto touch up paint for the red. I also got lucky and found a source for the gray wire loom too. I think rebuilding the switch's was the most nerve racking thing I would have to do from start to finish on my complete resoration. I'll be happy if all I have to change is the turn signal switch color.

Can someone post a pic of what it's supposed to look like. Thanks.

Here's what I ended up with.
XSRestorataionbegins131.jpg

The gray wire loom.
XSRestorataionbegins136.jpg

The NOS XS1 on ebay
dscn2064.jpg

Nice switch, where did you find it?
Actually I think the silver is correct for that year. Might have to take the paint off

Posted via Mobile

No sooner said than done .
My xs 2 switch which I think is original ,unfortunately mine has no inners apart from the horn and indicators wires so I am on the search for a replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 197
And a few more.

The 72 (or any later years) do not appear to have any paint in the TS lever slot.
70-71 had white paint.

xs650 009.JPG

better shot of the 72
xs650 010.jpg

xs650 011.jpg

xs650 018.jpg

Well, this should foul-up the works.

Pic #1 - Early production XS1B - aluminum body, red markings, no t/s paint
Pic #2 - Late production XS1B - black body, red markings, white t/s paint

Attachments

• 20140421_125018.jpg
    20140421_125018.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 20140421_125045.jpg
    20140421_125045.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 166
Oops! You're right.
I just did a scavenger hunt for my 71
I found a silver one at APF cycle salvage in Fresno.

Posted via Mobile

No sooner said than done .
This is great info, and I'm sure he appreciates the belated responses, but actually, the original poster put his request in almost a year ago.
So, CalsXS2, where did you get your grey wire sheath?

Hahaha, oh, we spoofed ourselves good! Yeah, gotta watch those posting dates...
Maybe a little late, but this is still excellent info. I have copied all of the images to my computer. Here's another one that sold on eBay with more pictures:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS1-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank you Cal, my searches finally came up with that link. Here's another source:
http://hvccycle.com/wire-harness.html

Now I have to get the wires into the sheaths. The question is do I remove the bullet connectors, or do I un-solder the switch connections. I have become really good at taking the switch apart and putting it back together. The male bullet connectors appear to be soldered on, unlike the later years where they are crimped. However, the female bullet connectors are crimped AND the clear plastic protectors are heat-welded to their wires. No way to remove them without destroying the protectors. Only the top half of the switch has female bullets, so I will be de-soldering the top housing wires at the switch to save the female bullets, and I will de-solder the bottom housing wires at the all-male bullet connectors which should be a lot easier.

Back