XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
grayj79
XS650 New Member

Default Help! Bad bearings or warped tire?

I have been getting an unstable front end when i hit 45 mph. Put new perillis on the bike, the tires that were on it were 15 years old, thought it was probably that. When I put the front tire on the balancing stand (with the new meat installed) I noticed a left to right wobble. The bead is set properly and the wobble is all the way through the rim, so I know its not the tire. The rim otherwise looks fine, no visible dents or anything to explain this. My question is, can the wheel bearings cause this or is the rim toast? Looks like the previous owner must have dumped the bike but not bad, there is a couple scratches on one side of the fork. Oh they are mag wheels by the way
grayj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Downeaster
Everything in XS

Default Re: Help! Bad bearings or warped tire?

What do you mean by "all the way through the rim"?

If you use some sort of indicator (a screwdriver braced against the fork and spaced say a quarter-inch away from the side of the rim works well) and spin the wheel, does the wobble happen once per revolution?

It it always in the same spot or is it random?

A random wobble is quite likely a bad bearing. A consistent wobble is a bent rim.

If the rim runs true based on the above tests, move the screwdriver tip up so it's "indicating" on the tire. If the rim runs basically true but the tire wobbles, then you have a mis-seated tire or warped tire casing.

I recently had a Bridgestone S11 front arrive warped from the supplier. More information on that little saga here.

1979 XS650SF. Sport bars, Brit-style mufflers and braided brake lines added, plastic badges and extraneous electronics removed. Otherwise, bone stock and gonna stay that way! Update: Added PAMCO. Slowly being dragged into the 21st Century...
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
wood-z
XS650 Enthusiast

i'm no expert,but many moons ago,my 80sg got"unstable"in the front end when my REAR wheel bearing went bad. spent the night at a reststop in effingham ill. sleeping on a picnic table,in the rain,awoke and discovered i had been attacked by carpenter ants-had bites all over my face.it looked like i had taken a beating for sure...have a look at the rear...
wood-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
XSLeo
XS650 Guru

I don't think that applies, he has the front wheel off the bike and in a stand.
Downeaster has it this time. Check the wheel run out, both left to right and up and down. It could be the wheel or the tire.
Leo

The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try.
75 XS650B with a few mods, Dual disc brakes up front, Disc on rear, Pamcopete Ignition with the green coil, Radio Shack rectifier and Chrysler regulator, LED tail/brake and turnsignals. 750 kit,1.5 headepipes, Emgo shorty mufflers.
XSLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
grayj79
XS650 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated! I just went ahead and ordered new bearings, if there is a chance its them I would rather do that then trying to find a new rim. If I do find it is the rim and not the tire or the bearing, does the bead of new tire get ruined by me removing it, i guess im asking if I can use it on the replacement rim need be?
grayj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
XSLeo
XS650 Guru

You can remove a tire and put it on another wheel without hurting it. I have a tire that's been on 3 wheels, still holds air and runs true.
Just use lots of lube. Go to a parts store and get a gallon of tire changing lube. Won't cost much and will last for years.
Leo

The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try.
75 XS650B with a few mods, Dual disc brakes up front, Disc on rear, Pamcopete Ignition with the green coil, Radio Shack rectifier and Chrysler regulator, LED tail/brake and turnsignals. 750 kit,1.5 headepipes, Emgo shorty mufflers.
XSLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
5twins
XS650 Guru

You can check the rim with the tire and wheel still on the bike. Just get that wheel in the air, rig a pointer of some sort up next to the rim, and slowly spin the tire. You'll easily be able to see if the rim is bent.

'78E Standard and 4 Euro twins
5twins is offline   Reply With Quote