bent lower fork tube

Roque

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I bought a set of polished lowers from another member, got everything apart and was reassembling and it appears that one of the lowers is slightly dinged or bent just enough to bind as the tube travels down to about 4"from bottoming out. Is there a fix for this? Or scrap metal?

There is an 'old school' method, but somewhat involved. Uses progressively larger steel rod 'dies' fitted into tube at damage area, then carefully using body-shop metal-smacking technique to gently tap-out ding from the outside.

I might have to try that before scrapping it, good thing is the other side is fine so ill just have to shave and polish one of mine. Ish happens.

Not really. As TwoMany points out, using a mandrel and dolly system will work, but it requires the patience and the tools to do it right. I've done it to wing leading edges for bird strikes dozens of times, and a few without any backside access (not gonna happen on that tube though!) And people that have done my kind of work longer than me that I know and respect can't do it worth a crap because they just can't "feel" the metal. It's a bit of an art.
If I were positive that I had not caused the damage myself, I'd discuss the polished turd with the member. I have sold a pickup truck load of used motorcycle parts, but every damn one of them met the fit, form and function of the part before I sold it, even if the appearance was "slightly used" If the seller does not know good parts from bad, they shouldn't be making stuff shiny and selling it.
Just my 2 cents from the outside of the deal.
My next question would be if you immediately checked fit, form, and function at your earliest opportunity when you got the parts?

Jd750ace, Toomany, thanks for the replies. No I did not get the chance to check right off as I did not have my seals so I guess its sort of my fault. I might run it by my local machine shop and see if they can run it on the lathe to just bore it out evenly all the way down. We'll see. If that doesn't work I'll have to shave and polish mine.

Back