i need XS1b cylenders, can i uses other year ?

Cortland, that's pretty close, I live in Lebanon. Next to Lebanon Reservoir. About 35 miles from you.
Anyway on to your question, The early engines were the 256 series. The later was the 447 series. The change was in 74.
There were some differences where the head gasket sets. I think you can use a 447 head on a 256 engine. I'm sure there are others who know more about the 256 engines than I. I haven't had a 256 engine yet.
One more thing, Welcome to our little slice of the XS650 life.
Leo

I've often wondered about this myself, coming from the other side of the fence, the XS1 world.
From what I've been able to gather, there's at least three major differences between early and late cylinders, not sure which side of the line is the XS2.

1 - The camchain tensioner mount: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056
2 - Tunnel clearance for the tensioner system
3 - The ''groove' that is cut into the cylinder upper surface.

From some of the threads here, it appears that putting late cylinders on early engines is quite do-able, where the reverse is problematic...

thanx guys, sounds like the cam chain tensioner is main difference.
is the crank the same on older to newer, ( xs1 - 1975 and up) ?
I was told one is timed 180' different than the other.
ps: I am helping a guy in his 60s and he is still riding and loving his
I own a 70, 3 71s, 2 72s, & about 6 others.
also have a small collection of about 50 other bikes.
but, 650s are my favorite.

Attachments

• 68 chop tri.jpg
    68 chop tri.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 139
Except for the modified engines that have been rephased, all XS-650's use a 360° crankshaft, pistons go up/down together.

70-73 cranks used a longer '256' connecting rod, with a larger 22mm wristpin, and pistons with wristpin hole higher up, close to the oil ring.

70-71, known as '256', crank flywheels were smooth.
72-73, known as '306', crank flywheels had starter gear teeth cut into the right side flywheel.

'256' cranks were superceded to '306' in the early `70s, so starter gear type '306' cranks fit fine in early '256' engines.

70-73 bikes have '256' engine connecting rods

74-up, known as '447' cranks had a shorter connecting rod, with smaller 20mm wristpins, and pistons with wristpin hole located lower to match the shorter connecting rod.

There is a european version, known as '533', with the longest connecting rods, 20mm wristpins, and pistons to match.

70-73 '256' and '306' engines use a unique '256' camshaft/camchain/tensioner system of 8mm pitch.
74-up '447' engines use a different camshaft/camchain/tensioner system.
You cannot interchange these these 2 systems, unless you're willing to do a lot of extra work.

Back