Parts washer solution

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
So I broke down last night and picked up the Harbor Freight parts washer while I was there getting my buffer. :bike:

What are you guys using for cleaning solution. The instructions say use a water based formula. But everything I've found , like purple power, Zep, or what ever doesn't play well with aluminum.

I hate to spend the money on mineral spirits, or the such. But you know what they say. "Buy once, cry once". :laugh:

I'm really leaning towards the stuff tractor supply sells. Crown PSC 1000., It's naptha based I think.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/crownreg%3B-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005

So what are you guys using.

Oh ya. Anyone know how much fluid the HF washer actually needs. Thanks

I've used Varsol and Dri-Rex, quite similar.
Watch for skin sensitivities, this stuff can dry-out the oils in your hands. And, any splash that gets on your pants can start burning your legs after about an hour.
Might consider shop apron and gloves if you have these sensitivities...

Well I broke down and shelled out the cash for the PSC-1000. I did cry just a little. But it was a real manly cry I tell ya. :D

I think I may be about 2 gallon's short. They only sell the stuff by the 5 gal bucket. I hate to spend another $40. I wonder if I could just top it off with mineral spirits.

You should be fine with 5 gallons. It'll have to be disposed after it's sufficiently filthy. Depending on your cleaning duties, you may not use it completely. So, after a major project, you can dispose the old/used, then replace it with fresh, ready for the next project, clean and ready to go...

You should be fine with 5 gallons. It'll have to be disposed after it's sufficiently filthy. Depending on your cleaning duties, you may not use it completely. So, after a major project, you can dispose the old/used, then replace it with fresh, ready for the next project, clean and ready to go...

5 gallon's.... I bought 10. I think it takes 12 to make it run. But don't know for sure till I put it in. :shrug:

Oh, yeah, 10 gallons should last a long time. Or, you could do the really bad stuff first on 5 gallons, dump it, then have a fresh batch of 5 gallons for the critical/delicate stuff...

I just borrowed a shut off valve off of my air compressor and put on there so I could see what was what. Made a drain,,,, which will be staying by the way. :wink2:

It ran with 5 gallon's of water in there. Hell. I think it would have run on 3 gallon's. :thumbsup:

Like you said. I have plenty. :D

I'm using that same stuff from tractor supply. Works great.

I read a brake down on the different thinner's and what not. It said that Naphtha actually cleans better than mineral spirits, and leaves no oily residue.

You also have to keep naphtha gas under pressure to keep it from evaporating.
IIRC(it's been 20+ yrs.) the storage tanks had something like a 15# pop off valves on them. At the time I was hauling crude to the refineries and used to nip a bit to clean my centrifuge and test vials. It also cleaned the cruddy brown crap that builds up around fuel tank fill holes.

It will vapor quickly and is highly flammable. I used a cup or less on a brush pile one time.
The fire ball was at less 20 ft across but it went quick, kinda a big orange/red whoosh.

I wonder if the warning of using only water base solvents in this has something to do with the motor not being spark arrested or suitable for use in a flammable environment?

It says it's formulated for ''parts cleaning systems''. On the can it says it has a flash point of 140*. Does this sound safe.

"Crown® PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner is a parts washer solvent formulated to remove oil, grease, and grime from industrial parts and equipment. This industrial strength formula is specially blended for parts cleaning systems."

Well, Cal, I've just joined your club.

Pic #1 - Picked-up a 20 gal solvent tank at Tractor Supply on sale at $89, and a bucket of PSC 1000 ($$ouch$$).

Pic #2 - My 30 year old drum type developed a crack at the rear, 'bout time I guess. Gonna miss it, I really prefer drum based solvent tanks.

Pic #3 - The pump pickup in this new one sits about 2" above the bottom, so it'll take a few gallons to start pumping. Wonder if that's the same for all these budget units.

Attachments

• SolvTank01.jpg
    SolvTank01.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 295
  • SolvTank02.jpg
    SolvTank02.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 296
  • SolvTank03.jpg
    SolvTank03.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 342
A flash point of 140 is not too bad. Naptha is Zippo lighter fluid, and 70 some odd percent of a gallong of non oxygenated gasoline. It's a fantastic solvent. It's safe on acrylic, but will eat a lot of polyester based plastic. Treat it like a tank of oily gas. By comparison, Varsol (Fed Spec PD 680) has a flash point of 145.

These 20 gallon parts washers are about 30" by 20", that works out to about 2.5 gallons of solvent per inch. With the pump pickup at 2", that means that 5 gallons will just barely get to the pump. Lowered mine to 1".

Attachments

• SolvTank04.jpg
    SolvTank04.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 242
I use diesel. $4gal oil pan and a $10 garden pump sprayer from harbor freight. I soak first brush and rinse with sprayer. If it needs to be super clean ill spay it again with brake cleaner and compressed air. Works great on differentials and gear boxes.

does any body know if the pump in these budget units is just a water fountain pump?
If so, you can get those pumps, and I think that one in particular at craft stores like micheal's. U could prolly make a cheaper washer from a dish pan.

does any body know if the pump in these budget units is just a water fountain pump?
If so, you can get those pumps, and I think that one in particular at craft stores like micheal's. U could prolly make a cheaper washer from a dish pan.

What I found in mine is exactly the same one in this flyer (lower-left corner):

Attachments

• 20140329_211222.jpg
    20140329_211222.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 382
Back