Head removal ?

Rodguy1938

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the site. Just got my first bike, I'm 64 years old.
It's a 1980 650 Special. It smokes on start up and then goes away.
Left side only. Plug on that side is black. I think it is a valve guide, 155 compression.
My question is... Do I have to remove the engine to remove the head ?

Pretty much, yes. It can be just tilted to pop the top cover off but with all the work you have planned, best to get it out on a work bench.

Engine compression is normally around 140 to 145 psi...................the 155 probably means lots of carbon build-up on piston and head. Let us know what you find when you open it up. Once you start looking at the internals, you will likely want to replace other items................rings, valve seals, front chain guide, camchain, lap the valves etc.

Here's a pic of one method to lift out the engine. I used nylon straps and 2 pipes.

Welcome to the XS650 group. Fun bikes to ride and not difficult to work on.

Attachments

• Engine Removal.JPG
    Engine Removal.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 780
As they said, you'll need to pull the motor. If it's a valve guide, it will smoke on deceleration. How many miles? They aren't hard to work on, but if you're going to tear into it, I would suggest a least a refresh with rings, cam chain, guides, seals etc. Cost you a few hundred bucks.

On the other hand, if it's running pretty good and not burning much oil, maybe just leave it alone. Depends on what you want.

Welcome. :)

John

i take a deep breath and lift. it sucks, never thought about that straps/pipe method. i took the top motor mount off of the frame and still had to pull the engine to change the cam chain.

drain the oil clean BOTH filters, dump a couple of quarts of high miles auto oil in it and put a 1,000 miles on it. See what happens. Won't hurt anything and may cure "sitting disease"
Welcome aboard too. Watch out for Ghetto though, he's trouble, probably not enough discipline as a child.

unless you've got a lot of free time and access to money burning a hole in your pocket, i'd say run it around for a few good runs, replace the oil, run it around for another 500 miles minimum, change the oil again, and see where you are. He you're bound and determined, taking the engine out, doing the value stem seals, and plunking it back in the frame *may* not get you much. But it may solve the problem, too. You have to break the head from the jugs so do the seals, so you'll need a new headgasket as well. Bring the pistons to tdc, and clean them off with a soft brass brush. Since you've got the head off, a light lapping of the valves wouldn't be a waste of time.

How long has the bike sat before you bought it? If it sat very long, it just may need a little running to clear the cobwebs out. It seems to be the left side is most often the smoker. I think it has something to do with the left side being the low side as it sets on the sidestand.
As others have said, change the oil, with the oil out pull the sump plate and check the filter, often torn. It can be fixed or you can replace.
Use a finger and probe around inside the sump. You may find some things, long pieces of black plastic. Comes from the front cam chain guide.
The side cover filter too . Usually just needs cleaning.
Fill it up with most any motorcycle 20w50 oil and ride it.
Going through a basic tune up won't hurt. New plugs.
Ride it, the smoking my stop after a few miles. The rings may reseat themselves.
XsJohn used to reccomend putting a teaspoonful of baking soda in the smoking side, the baking soda is a very fine abrasive. It polishes the bore and rings. This can sometimes help the rings reseat.

Some 2x4's, nails and a hammer and you're in business for an engine stand. Very user friendly. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• engine stand.jpg
    engine stand.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 314
It would be interesting to know how they put them in at the factory.
If it sat for 5 years the first thing I'd sort is the tank condition.
Crapped jets can take the fun out of a day.
Welcome to the site Rodguy.

Well you could just cut the top tube off and there you go easy access to do a top end! JUST KIDDING! Don't do it!

Years ago I got a call to help a guy do a rering on his KZ1000 but he couldn't get the head off. What he was describing sounded weird so I ran over to his house and found he had cut the upper frame tube off to access the top end while it was in the bike. His plan was to buy a hinge and bolt it back on after he was done. I walked away in tears cuz I was laughing so hard.

Well you could just cut the top tube off and there you go easy access to do a top end! JUST KIDDING! Don't do it!

Years ago I got a call to help a guy do a rering on his KZ1000 but he couldn't get the head off. What he was describing sounded weird so I ran over to his house and found he had cut the upper frame tube off to access the top end while it was in the bike. His plan was to buy a hinge and bolt it back on after he was done. I walked away in tears cuz I was laughing so hard.

that is awesome! what did he end up doing? if hes that dumb im sure he isnt much of a welder either. good story.

^ guarantee that guy is no longer alive if he's that good at attempting to win a darwin award. :D

Rodguy1938, welcome to the site and keep up all posted on how this turns out. :thumbsup:

I think it was one of those "in over your head" moments. I re-ringed the engine after I made him take it out of the frame. Gave it back and I'm sure it's still a cut up frame with a rebuilt engine sitting next to it if it hasn't been junked. If it weren't for these forums I think there would be more like him. Oh an I forgot Welcome to the Forum!

Back