OK super sleuthes tell me what I'll find.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The kick starter moves about 1/8 of the arc but then it's locked solid. P O said had the RH cover off twice..... What am I going to find? The chain and front sprocket were off, rear axle was still tight with cotter pin in place. (loose parts neatly in a baggie) Bike had charging system problems, that is related, for bonus points tell me why. Bike had drop cafe bars the original "special" clutch cable routing would have done a Boa constrictor proud. Super man probably couldn't have worked the lever. I put the chain and sprocket back on, routed the cable so it will work. It shifts through all the gears. No battery or key, I haven't tried the e start Before I open it, what is "wrong" under that RH cover?

I'm going to guess a totally messed up kick assembly install, with the drag clip and return spring not located properly. No doubt the kick assembly pulled out with the cover removal and it was all down hill from there, lol.

As for the charging problems, I'm guessing the chain got a hold of the alternator wires and did some chewing.

Oh you're just grumpy cause the Badgers are doing it. (so far)

I'm thinking that has something do do with college football? Don't watch or care about any form of it. Waste of time. Grumpy? Maybe, still mourning my Cardinals loosing to those fukn cubs. Also you now what season isn't getting here fast enough:thumbsup:

You had to go and say that 2Many!

151025_113213.jpg

Piston(s) are stuck, dang it. good dose of PB blaster in there now.

So a couple light whacks on wrenches on the crank back and forth freed the pistons but it goes around then comes to a hard stop both ways. Valves seem to be working but will have to look some more.

Turning one way then stopping, then back the other way and stopping usually means a valve stuck open and hitting the piston. But, it could be the piston rings coming back up to the point they were stuck at and hitting the ring of rust there.

Hi Solo,
um, the photo shows the sad and sorry state the bores are in so the head has to have been removed to take the photo and even if a valve was stuck open when the head was on it couldn't be stopping the engine turning over now, eh?
But yeah, those bores are beyond salvage.

Yeah borescope not that expensive and I got a USB adapter so it it works with my phone also. I may spring for a higher rez version one of these days. At the least I need to do some brackets to make it easier to hold and aim the cam, adjust the focus, while holding the phone.

saw n partz 013.JPG 151026_102513.jpg

151025_113241.jpg 151025_113338.jpg

151026_102525.jpg 151026_101758.jpg

Hmm a guess it may have sat out for bit with the carbs off. Tranny bottom end parts look OK
Bore is shot. Valves are all free I can even feel the grittyness as the piston, rings come to the rusted area. I have 700 kits with bored cylinders ready to go in just need to get going on engine rebuilds. Later maybe. For now I'll lube everything, button it up and send it back to the shed.

And uh, c'mon guys this is supposed to be fun, lighten up a bit OK?

20151021_130653.jpg

Some other shots of this engine.

saw n partz 009.JPG saw n partz 003.JPG

saw n partz 006.JPG

there were no gaskets on the oil filter or cover. It appeared the clutch cover had never been off. Usual leaky tach drive

Hi solo,
thanks for that.
I'm reminded of long ago advice as to what to say to a driver who has just crashed into your car:-
" Not withstanding the fact that your driving skills are only exceeded by your good looks, high intelligence and noble birth I hold you entirely responsible for this collision, you ugly stupid bastard."

Yeah borescope not that expensive and I got a USB adapter so it it works with my phone also.

View attachment 58691

And uh, c'mon guys this is supposed to be fun, lighten up a bit OK?

Hi Gary,
WTF is that in photo #5, it looks like an insect pupa?
And yeah, solo and me. Curmudgeon Clash! We could sell tickets.

Back