Do I need a top motor mount?

I've asked the same question and I guess what comes down to is preference.. some do and some dont. I personally really like the clean open look and am still trying to decide to cut it out or not... just my $.02...

Yes, you need it. If you don't like the look, make a cool looking one. People run without them, but your bike will vibrate less with it there, and nothing is likely to break.

John

Ive run mine for awhile without one and have had no problems!! But like hooktool says Im sure it will cut down on vibration, but not sure about breaking anything without it as the motor is already locked down in four places! Just my opinion!!

XsC

Ive run mine for awhile without one and have had no problems!! But like hooktool says Im sure it will cut down on vibration, but not sure about breaking anything without it as the motor is already locked down in four places! Just my opinion!!

XsC

You can't argue with the guy that's doing it, and plenty have. The way to tell would be to ride one way, then the other and see if you can feel the difference. I would worry about it long term in any case.

I'm leaving for Portland in the morning-gonna be there a day or two, up to Vancouver and Anacortes, and then a week there in Portland. Any shops I ought to see? I bought and RZ350 out there a few years ago and picked it up, but the shop was not all that interesting.

John

You can't argue with the guy that's doing it, and plenty have. The way to tell would be to ride one way, then the other and see if you can feel the difference. I would worry about it long term in any case.

I'm leaving for Portland in the morning-gonna be there a day or two, up to Vancouver and Anacortes, and then a week there in Portland. Any shops I ought to see? I bought and RZ350 out there a few years ago and picked it up, but the shop was not all that interesting.

John

Hey John,..I only rode my bike briefly with the top motor mounts before chopping it, but after riding it without it feels really solid! So I guess at this point its kind of all I know! And the more I ride it the more comfortable I get and needless to say Im falling in love with this amazing machine!! And hey, if your gonna be in the area and dont have anything going on, give me a hollar! Would love to meet a fellow XS enthusiast and maybe talk XS's! I work right out by the airport and Im usually always free in the evenings! It looks like its gonna rain from now until summer but if its dry would love for you to take a look at my baby!!

XsC

Try bolting the topmount on and see if it feels different.
The other mounts are low on the engine as the engine vibrates the top tends to move front to back. Without the top mount to hold the top in place the rest of the mounts get more stress. The bolts are more prone to coming loose. As the bolts get loose the engine moves more. If it moves too much the holes in the cases can break.
It's your bike do as you want. Just be aware.

I like the clearer look and there are 4 other mounts on frame and in the last 5 years i have NONE that cracked or broke and have ran the bikes at 65/70 mph on highway.
You can always make a custom mount for top if you feel its needed.

Attachments

• drop seat 300.JPG
    drop seat 300.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 400
  • frame&springer.jpg
    frame&springer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 389
I never run one. I have noticed no ill affects with or without in the handling department with or without, so I just toss em in the trash.

Vibrations DO increase with a stock engine though, so keep that in mind.

puts more flex into the cylinder/head mounting studs increasing possibility of oil leaks

Do you have any proof of this statement? Or are you just assuming?

I personally value the opinions of those who have experience with the topic at hand... Thanks to those who have experience with this and have answered, I was on the fence about my top mount, but you just convinced me to toss it. Thanks:thumbsup:

I really like the look too, but there are no definite answers and people keep asking until they hear want they want to anyway.

Nike.

I dont think so. If you read through the post the people who have actually tried no motor mount say they didnt notice much of a difference. Everyone who said its bad and not to do it doesnt have any experience with it, they are just assuming its bad and telling everyone not to do it.

I ditch the top motor mount and that big ugly front one too.. the rear and bottom ones work just fine. :laugh:

Just kidding. :D

Yes, I know. This is probably the best explanation I have ever read.

The "no top motor mount" debate has been going on forever.. And this may be a bit off topic but I have seen this type of discussion turn into a real shit storm.
Things to consider is that most bikes you see without the top mount are custom built frames and not hardtailed or modded stock one.
A custom frame is,if done correctly built from a thicker wall tubing then they used from the factory.
Ever wonder why there is a shit ton of bracing and gussets on a stock frame? its because even yamaha knew that the tubing needed it.
And yes guys that aren't running one and have custom frames do ride their bikes..
I put about 15k or more on mine last year..

Yeah either that or Yamaha does the gusseting and top motor mount for liability reasons.

Back