1.75" tracker pipes question?

ericmu17

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello I purchased stainless tracker pipes 1.75" from Gary hoos. I plan on putting them on my stock xs650 special. I also purchased torque inserts from Mikesxs, baffles and brass exhaust tips. Will I still experience torque loss with these pipes?

I don't believe you will experience loss, but with a 650 the preferred i.d. is 1 5/8" because 1 3/4" is a bit too large to support optimum gas velocity. The inserts shouldn't detract and may help. If you enlarge the ccs to 700 or 750 the pipes will be better matched to the engine. I don't know if the baffles have any effect on the pipe's performance. You can probably try them with and without and see what you feel in the seat of your pants or, best yet, toss it on a local dyno and find out for sure.

I know mikes xs performance headpipes and free flowing muffler gain 10 hp over stock muffler!!!

I believe they will add hp, especially if you do any performance mods to the engine such as a warmer cam and/or bore it out to 700 cc, do a valve job and clean up the flashing in the ports. Michael Morse at 650Central.com can give you specific advice depending upon what level of tune/power you are looking for and how you plan to ride the bike.

Ran the tracker pipes from Gary. Not a huge fan of them. Hoos is the man when when it comes to wide open flat track 650s, but some of his stuff is not the best choice for the street. you will notice a torque loss at lower RPMS. The torque inserts do help but you may want to look into a exhaust that is stock size. Those pipes in opinion are not for the street.

.50 or 2nd over adds about 4 cc's. The over bore to get to 700 cc's is a 12th over.
Leo

Back