10 undeniable truths about going fast

That's a good list. I'd like to add:

#11: Disinformation works - Let a racing secret, that doesn't work, accidently slip out.
Example: Yell to your pit crew that you need an additional 2 tablespoons of sugar added to the fuel.
You may not go faster, but some competitors will seem to go slower...

That's definitely a truth that is in play and I'm sure it has been for quite some time! :thumbsup:

I never understood people that flick ashes in their oil pan for good luck :wtf:

Same with sailboat racing.
My good friend Jim Cafferty was the best at sailing in light winds of anyone I knew.
One of his little tricks was to use a mainsheet tackle block that had a really loud ratchet.
With light winds you don't need to use a block to trim the mainsail.
Jim would hold the sail steady by holding the shrouds in his hand and work the loose shroud back and forth through his noisy block BZZT BZZT BZZT.
All the other racers would hear this and try adjusting their sails to match, losing what little wind there was.
Jim would drift quietly on, first past the finishing buoy as usual.

OK you forgot one thing! I have never been over 200 mph in the 1/4 mile came close 196 mph but the feel after 150 mph is the same only when you look to the left or right do you know you are booking. I have been 160 in a car and 196 on a motorcycle both in the 1/4 mile.
AND!!!!! the one thing not on that list or in any racing??????
YOU GOT TO HAVE BIG BALLS and NO FEAR
I never worried about crashing or blowing up and fire.
Had a TF Bike blow up at 167 mph and heads blew off and bent backbone that I was laying on knocked me out and broke some ribs but never fell off bike. That was on a SAT and we got spare bike back together tapped up my ribs and the show goes on for SUNDAY.
NO BRAINS or BALLs......... Its racing
Would I do it now ...... HELL NO!!!!!:yikes:

Hi Guys,
it's not the speed, it's the apparent speed.
Right now everybody in the latitude of North America is travelling due East at ~600mph along with the planet while not moving out of their chair.
And most of us have looked out of an airliner's window at the ground going by and know you are going ~500mph but it sure don't feel like it.
For me, the fastest speed sensation was going mebbe 12mph hanging off a trapeze on a racing dinghy.
Most hazardous speed? Betcha not more than 2mph falling down the basement stairs underneath the kitchen stove I was attempting to move down there.
Thought I'd broke my leg for sure.

Back