1500 mile trip

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am planning to take a trip on my 81' from NYC to FL. I just rebuilt my engine, new ignition, new PMA, new carbs and oilfirlter/cooler kit. I never took such a long distance ride so aside from bringing a few extra oil filters I am not sure what else to take with me. Maybe a valve tools? Has anyone done a trip like this and encountered problems with their carbs or motor or anything else? Sorry if this is not the place to ask a question like this

Take some basic hand tools, enough stuff to fix a rear tire including tube if you are running spokes, and a big wad of credit cards.

take a 10,12,14,17 mm wrenches. Take the socket that fits the oil and the rear axle, and the one that fits the front axle. I would suggest the front sprocket socket too, and something long like a torque wrench to put the sockets on. Take some insulated wire and some tape. Take some pliers. Pocket knife. A good #2 Phillips, not a crappy one. I have a bicycle pump and a tire plug kit. I've had nails in a tire but never one that went through. I've used my spare needles and seats that I brought, and my spare coil. Would be a good idea to have a spare clutch cable. This all assume that everything is checking out good on the bike right now.

Well, 90% of the bike is new and 10% has been rebuilt. All new electronics, including harness, ignition, PMA. New bearings, chain, tires (mag wheels), brake system, MMM carbs, battery forks serviced, new plugs. The whole bike was completely stripped and rebuilt.

desmodromic,

Well, taking a lot of tools probably won't do you much good, like if you get a flat. You have to remove the wheel and break the tire bead and squeeze a tube in there and somehow pump it up, all on the side of the road, so I would just have it towed to a shop.

Check your insurance before you leave and have roadside assistance and towing included in the policy.

A lot can break on the motorcycle and you can keep going until you encounter some help. If the charging system fails, disconnect your headlight and unplug the regulator and you can ride all day on the battery, if you have one, that is if you have some way of determining that the charging system has failed before the battery dies. If you do not have a battery on your PMA setup, I would suggest that you install one for the trip.

Spare oil filters? I don't think so. Not if you mean the stock oil screen. You can rinse those out in the bathroom at the motel.

Spare clutch cable? Maybe. If you are going to take one with you, then snake it under the gas tank along side the one that's there, or better yet, change it before you go and keep the old one as the spare. Leave it in place. Just tie wrap it to the new one. Whatever tools you use to install the new cable, take those with you.

You should have a two or three day buffer between when you do the last minute work on the bike and the day that you leave. Ride at least 100 miles locally during those three days. Don't do anything major just before you leave.

Now, the big question....did you install a new chain? If not, I would suggest that you do. With the miles you will be putting on, the chain will be really stressed. I would suggest a new "O" ring chain to minimize the need to lube it. The down side to a new chain just before a long ride is the stretch. Buy a top quality "O" ring chain and ride it at least 100 miles for the initial stretch and adjustment. Do that 3 days before you leave.

Last edited:
I would add to my other list a allen key that fits the case cover sides. These sound like a lot of tools, but really arent. You aren't taking whole sets, just specific items. The first thing that happened to me was the rear bolt vibrated out of my chain guard. It got bent and wouldn't wire up well, so I had to take the rear wheel off to remove it. Then at some point my rear sprocket bolts began to loosen and back out. None of which I could have preditcted but were easy to fix with the right basic set of tools. Then I've had to do routine stuff like adjust the chain, valves, keep the drive sprocket tight, and so on. I had a clutch cable break once and swore I'd never be without one again. That's a show stopper. I also have a spare tci and a spare reg rect besides what I mentioned. Fuses and bulbs obviously.

Pamco Pete said something in a similar thread that's good. It was don't ride at night. Just because it's riskier.

Last edited:
So, I am thinking about not even taking this bike anymore, might just take my KTM. I literally replaced almost everything in the bike with new parts and serviced the rest

desmodromic,

Well, taking a lot of tools probably won't do you much good, like if you get a flat. You have to remove the wheel and break the tire bead and squeeze a tube in there and somehow pump it up, all on the side of the road, so I would just have it towed to a shop.

Check your insurance before you leave and have roadside assistance and towing included in the policy.

A lot can break on the motorcycle and you can keep going until you encounter some help. If the charging system fails, disconnect your headlight and unplug the regulator and you can ride all day on the battery, if you have one, that is if you have some way of determining that the charging system has failed before the battery dies. If you do not have a battery on your PMA setup, I would suggest that you install one for the trip.

Spare oil filters? I don't think so. Not if you mean the stock oil screen. You can rinse those out in the bathroom at the motel.

Spare clutch cable? Maybe. If you are going to take one with you, then snake it under the gas tank along side the one that's there, or better yet, change it before you go and keep the old one as the spare. Leave it in place. Just tie wrap it to the new one. Whatever tools you use to install the new cable, take those with you.

You should have a two or three day buffer between when you do the last minute work on the bike and the day that you leave. Ride at least 100 miles locally during those three days. Don't do anything major just before you leave.

Now, the big question....did you install a new chain? If not, I would suggest that you do. With the miles you will be putting on, the chain will be really stressed. I would suggest a new "O" ring chain to minimize the need to lube it. The down side to a new chain just before a long ride is the stretch. Buy a top quality "O" ring chain and ride it at least 100 miles for the initial stretch and adjustment. Do that 3 days before you leave.

Thanks, as mentioned in a post above, the whole bike has been serviced and 90% of it was replaced with new parts, cables, battery, chain, ect. The motor was rebuilt and ALL electronic parts are new.

Desmo, I'm with Pamcopete. Take a cell phone, a credit card with some room on it, and pick up a cheap insurance policy with a towing (retrieval) provision. Enjoy. You'll be fine. Remember you are part of a network here. I suspect on your trip you'll never be far from a forum member who would come to your aid if you needed it.

roy

Desmo, I'm with Pamcopete. Take a cell phone, a credit card with some room on it, and pick up a cheap insurance policy with a towing (retrieval) provision. Enjoy. You'll be fine.

roy

Thanks, doesn't the AMA offer roadside assistance?

So, I am thinking about not even taking this bike anymore

Ha ha. I did a 1900 mile round trip this weekend - in a car. I would have taken different roads if I'd taken the xs, if it was me, roads that put me in more remote places. So because of that and because I am stingy with my money so I take stuff to handle my own emergencies if it's feasible.

Bring a chase vehicle to carry all the spare tools and parts everyone has recommended ! All joking aside, mentally plan on a break down and enjoy it, as that might be the most memorable part of the trip. I love it when strangers offer help, or you have to improvise a repair with tape and mechanics wire. it's all part of the journey!

It's only 1500 miles. If your cables and chain are good, your motor and electrics fresh, about the only thing that can stop you on the road that you can fix on the road is a flat. Go have a good time. Check over things every stop. A good clean chain wont even need adjusted once it is broken in. Post pics of the trip. Oh yeah, take zip ties and tape.

Get to know your bike and go for a few 50 and 100 mile trips around your area, you will get the feel of your bike and that will give you more confidence in the reliability as well. With the work you have done there is bound to be something that hasn't been sniged up as it should so go over the bike after each ride.

Its an adventure so treat it as such. take a few basic spares, some carry a set of points in case the pamco gets burnt,

geezer story

In 75 I dug a 71 XS650 out of a snow bank in February, bought it, got it running working in an unheated garage in Wisconsin. Strapped a sleeping bag on the back and with two buddies we rode to Florida for spring break. It shed parts for the first couple hundred miles then what ever was going to fall off had done so. About 2400 miles round trip and it never missed a beat. The riding through the snow storm coming back up through Illinois was the coldest I have ever been in my life.

This is the bike. photo from 75, not me on it.

JP-XS650.jpg

Go for it, you only go around once. And soon you will be too tied down to escape.

Not to discount any of the above advise or your bike. BUT. That sounds like a ton of NEW things you have done to your bike that are not proven.. I tinkered for two years with new parts and finding a setup that I feel comfortable doing a 50-60 mile day trip. I now have a very reliable machine that I trust. But you won't find me riding from NYC to FL... Nah...

There was a thread on here 5 or 6 months ago about a couple of dudes riding from Chicago to California on XS's and we all wished them luck and they promised to send picks on the way.. has anyone heard from them guys?

Sinking is right a 200 mile ish shake down trip will bring piece of mind before a long haul.

Back