1970 XS1 Tool kit

gdj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
These where the tools that where in a plastic bag in the tool tray.Are these original? Anyone have a tool kit from 1970?Thanks
001.JPG

I see some differences and similarities between it and 1983 if that helps. It appears someone tried to remove the axle nut with that flimsy 27mm wrench. My tool kit has two open end wrenches made like your 13/17. My kit had no tappet wrench.

Do you know if there is a difference in the 1980 XSG II? My "Beauty" came with an empty palette. View attachment 203902 No cover, no bag, no straps, and no tools. Just the empty pocket. Thanks,
'TT'
According to the parts book, part number 3J3-W2810-00-00 applies to the tool kit for all XS650s 1970-1983.

All Yamaha ever used to hold the tool bag in was a thick o-ring stretched between the two tabs .....

Qq4RtKa.jpg

I tried some cheapo heavy o-rings I had on hand but none lasted very long, breaking pretty quickly. Then I discovered the perfect solution at my local dollar store - heavy duty hair ties, lol .....

ia2lhRg.jpg

But I'll add that for many years I ran with nothing there and the tool bag stayed in fine.

I have bought side-covers with rub marks where the tool kit has come out of the pocket and rubbed on the inside of the side-cover. The way the tin side-covers are held on i suspect they would hold the toll kit and the side-cover wouldn't come off. On the later 80-83/4 bikes with the plastic side-covers if the tool kit rubbed on them they would push the side-cover off the bike.

Back