snap on tools

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
hay every one out that but snap on tools they don't have to warranty their tools anymore... and i you bad mouth your dealer they don't hae to come serice you shop any more. been waiting on a tool box or over 2 years.... I havve spent ovver 70K with snap on tools and they don't give a crap. there are over 10,000 krl series tool boxs out there rusting ( because they didn't paint them right.) and now they won't warranty rust on a 5 year old box that cost over $15,000.00. witch they have replace 2 times before if there is anyone with one mesage me thinking of a class action law suite.

Can someone explain to me what makes a Snap On toolbox worth $15,000? What construction features drive that sort of price?

it's 72" wide 30" deep and almost 6' tall but there not realy worth that but thats where we'er at .at one time they were the best built still have one o my first one built in the 70's and still works like new. that being said thats why I'm pissed offf about the rusting problem.

Can someone explain to me what makes a Snap On toolbox worth $15,000? What construction features drive that sort of price?
For some, There is an almost religious adherence to buying only brand name "Quality" tools, price be dammed. For others its off to Harbor Freight.
Of course, If I were a customer and walked into a shop, and they were using HF tools, I'd turn and run.

For some, There is an almost religious adherence to buying only brand name "Quality" tools, price be dammed. For others its off to Harbor Freight.
Of course, If I were a customer and walked into a shop, and they were using HF tools, I'd turn and run.
Well, maybe, but there's a happy medium too. I won't buy Snap-on tools for the same reason I won't buy a Harley: I will NOT pay a premium for a name. (No offense intended, JP...)

I have a handful that I picked up here and there when buying tool boxes complete with contents. Can't say I notice much difference from my older Craftsman stuff or even the Husky/Stanley/Kobalt stuff I have.

My boxes are a well used Matco (came with tools) and a Husky I bought at a scratch-and-dent price from Deep Homo.

Last edited:

Yeah I don’t know either, I saw a great big box at Home Depot that had a built in stereo and lights…….Woo! 😜

Actually, I am quite impressed with the quality of the GENERAL toolbox i bought at HF. It is much better constructed than the Craftsman toolbox i bought back in the early 90's. I read some online discussions where it was believed that the HF boxes were made at the same plant as the Snap-on. I have no proof to back that up though. While I believe you get what you pay for, I have never bought Snap-on purely because it was out of my price range. I my early 20's when I worked as a trailer mechanic, I'd buy Craftsman from Sears because of their replacement policy. On occasion i'd buy some specialty tools from the Matco guy. Thank God i never got wrapped up in any of the tool truck payment plans.

Well, maybe, but there's a happy medium too. I won't buy Snap-on tools for the same reason I won't buy a Harley: I will NOT pay a premium for a name. (No offense intended, JP...)

I have a handful that I picked up here and there when buying tool boxes complete with contents. Can't say I notice much difference from my older Craftsman stuff or even the Husky/Stanley/Kobalt stuff I have.

My boxes are a well used Matco (came with tools) and a Husky I bought at a scratch-and-dent price from Deep Homo.
Generally I think that Snap-Off, Mac,Cornwell and Matco tools and especially boxes, are a world apart in quality. If you are a hobbiest and aren't using it 40+ hours a week, then the heavy duty ball bearing drawers and heavier gauge metal are irrelevant. Having said all that, I've known a lot of techs that buy those "Condo" tool boxes as a form of pee pee measuring, just like the guys with the 75k Harley "Bagger" that can't be ridden for more than 5 miles without peeing blood. But hey, they're not spending my $$$, and that's just my opinion.

Now for Craftsman you have to go to Ace hardware or Lowe's. I've run across some of the Ace's that won't honor the replacement warrantee because they really don't want to sell them. Lowe's will still honor it so far.

Generally I think that Snap-Off, Mac,Cornwell and Matco tools and especially boxes, are a world apart in quality. If you are a hobbiest and aren't using it 40+ hours a week, then the heavy duty ball bearing drawers and heavier gauge metal are irrelevant. Having said all that, I've known a lot of techs that buy those "Condo" tool boxes as a form of pee pee measuring, just like the guys with the 75k Harley "Bagger" that can't be ridden for more than 5 miles without peeing blood. But hey, they're not spending my $$$, and that's just my opinion.
Yep. I have professional quality tools. Some are Snap-on. I started with a Craftsman set. I gradually replaced them as I figured out what I wanted to replace them with. Some of the Craftsman stayed. Most went home. No one brand filled my set. No tool man payments. Because of my job, the big chest was inappropriate. I filled Kennedy doghouse boxes. My Craftsman stuff went to my son-in-law. He has two sons he can pass them to someday.

When I worked at Tramco up in Everett Wa I'd see the "fresh out of A&P school" kids would run out to the Snap-On truck and run up a 5-10k bill in a matter of weeks... and that's in 90's dollars. I never set foot in that truck.
I'll say that as a lifelong aircraft mechanic, I can't see the justification in paying those prices for tools. I know some want only the best in tools though. Craftsman, SK... Husky... all have served me well. I've got an SK 1/4" ratchet that's been in constant use since the 70's and still going strong. 3 rollaways, One Craftsman from the 70's is just now showing signs of rust.
And like @willis says above, I've got a Harbor Freight one (Yukon) that's just as good if not better than the two Craftsman's.

No offense to the OP of course. To each his own.

Last edited:
Same here Jim.
I had bought some at Roush since it was convenient.

500 bucks worth and 20 bucks a week payment.

1985 and complete crap rebranded, CRAP.

One another hand, I still use old Craftsman's from 1972 I got in a box for Christmas.
and no. ACE sells but does not warranty.

Not a condo user. Never had to clean anything due to use.

cliff

Back when I turned a wrench for.. almost a living.... we had Snap On, Matco.... Mac ...Cornwell for a short time....stop at the shop... they didn't visit other shops I worked at.. (same company) ... for my basic tools.... Craftsman at Sears was my go too place... for specialty tools... I worked with the tool truck guy.... when it came time to buy a box.... even back in the day.... Gadzooks.. I went with Snap On's.... Blue Point .... good box.... great price.... still have it.... 😎

When I worked at Tramco up in Everett Wa I'd see the "fresh out of A&P school" kids would run out to the Snap-On truck and run up a 5-10k bill in a matter of weeks... and that's in 90's dollars. I never set foot in that truck.
I'll say that as a lifelong aircraft mechanic, I can't see the justification in paying those prices for tools. I know some want only the best in tools though. Craftsman, SK... Husky... all have served me well. I've got an SK 1/4" ratchet that's been in constant use since the 70's and still going strong. 3 rollaways, One Craftsman from the 70's is just now showing signs of rust.
And like @willis says above, I've got a Harbor Freight one (Yukon) that's just as good if not better than the two Craftsman's.

No offense to the OP of course. To each his own.
I forgot about S-K, a darned fine tool.

I forgot about S-K, a darned fine tool.
Not inexpensive. Grainger sells them. I have quite a few, including a couple of quarter inch ratchets. Those are now $80 retail. I’m too old to be buying any more expensive tools, especially since I’m no longer earning a living with them.

hay every one out that but snap on tools they don't have to warranty their tools anymore... and i you bad mouth your dealer they don't hae to come serice you shop any more. been waiting on a tool box or over 2 years.... I havve spent ovver 70K with snap on tools and they don't give a crap. there are over 10,000 krl series tool boxs out there rusting ( because they didn't paint them right.) and now they won't warranty rust on a 5 year old box that cost over $15,000.00. witch they have replace 2 times before if there is anyone with one mesage me thinking of a class action law suite.
Snap-on has been screwing their truck distributors for years and their tool quality has dropped, most likely made in China like everything else.

Short comment
I have not been wrenching professionally for a long time and the rest on Motorcycles not really any Heavy Duty stuff
Working in Construction Air condition it was more smashing and tougher on the tools
Excavators was heavy duty and better tools.

Over the years it is seldom one ( I have ) damaged a hand held tool I remember a handful open wrenches 10 -- 15 mm and that is when hitting on them with a hammer or having a pipe extension. ..Which is not the the best practice .But happened .
Not many sockets either

Screwdrivers and electric drills / Angle grinder Edge tools is another thing
On excavators i once tightened track bolts to spec with socket and a 1.5 meter extension 60 inch on the wrench.
No problem
OK those tools were the real deal. My back set the limit. ,But the point is that hand held tools are generally much stronger than the person using muscles on them.
Sometimes out on the road the wrong tool is used and gets damaged .But that is better than stop do the job and go get the right tool.

My view is that not many tools needs to be the best quality . I Buy from Automotive suppliers made in Asia China probably. Some of then give ten years warranty.

There are Crap tools out there .but one spots them rather quickly and the price is -- so you notice it.
And the market solves it as long as one buys from a serious Supplier ( here )
If the price range is 1 to 10 I go for the 3 to 4 .Except for Screwdrivers and the most used Sockets
maybe 10 - 15 on XS 650
Good quality small Ratchet and Screwdrivers

Should I hammer on a Wrench and it opens up ( in the lower price range ) just throw it and buy another.
Or more precise I buy the set it gets Cheaper.

I know there are hardware stores selling expensive professional tools and They are better . And is necessary in some cases.
If you are out in the sticks in the hole 2 hours drive one way . with say an excavator then the job cannot stall because you have poor tools.

But if it is in the shop in town .with replacement tools near Or the hardware store across the street
I fail to see the need to pay for top notch tools. I admit 3 -4 can be to cheap but around there

Not inexpensive. Grainger sells them. I have quite a few, including a couple of quarter inch ratchets. Those are now $80 retail. I’m too old to be buying any more expensive tools, especially since I’m no longer earning a living with them.
Ditto, except for paint guns. I need one more Anest Iwata gun for color, as my current color gun doesn't even out metallics as well as I'd like. Lil' bugger is over $700.

Another trick is to find flea market/yard sale/pawn shop high dollar/lifetime warranty tools. Generally speaking, if the chrome is flaking, they will give you a new one due to liability. I have several Snap-Off ratchets that I bought broken/used and have swapped them out.

Back