snap on tools

Another trick is to find flea market/yard sale/pawn shop high dollar/lifetime warranty tools. Generally speaking, if the chrome is flaking, they will give you a new one due to liability. I have several Snap-Off ratchets that I bought broken/used and have swapped them out.
I buy 1/4” S-K ratchets at $10 whether I need it or not.

Snap On Tools.:yikes:
07July01-ToolBox.jpg

I have a lot of Snap On stuff and like the quality of their boxes, pliers, screwdrivers, ratchets. Is it worth the premium you pay - I’d say hell no. There’s lots of good brands out there and lately as I too grow old, rarely buy Snap On unless it’s a specialty tool that nobody else carries. I’ve been buying Icon branded tools at Harbour freight lately. Tough for we Canucks but whenever a friend crosses the border I place my order.

We don’t have kids so when I leave this world, someone will inherit a great tool collection. Not confirmed yet but I’m thinking about donating them to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and the tools can be used to help restore some of the great aircraft from the past.

Btw fwiw, my Snap On dealer is great for taking care of warranty concerns.

I have a lot of Snap On stuff and like the quality of their boxes, pliers, screwdrivers, ratchets. Is it worth the premium you pay - I’d say hell no. There’s lots of good brands out there and lately as I too grow old, rarely buy Snap On unless it’s a specialty tool that nobody else carries. I’ve been buying Icon branded tools at Harbour freight lately. Tough for we Canucks but whenever a friend crosses the border I place my order.

We don’t have kids so when I leave this world, someone will inherit a great tool collection. Not confirmed yet but I’m thinking about donating them to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and the tools can be used to help restore some of the great aircraft from the past.

Btw fwiw, my Snap On dealer is great for taking care of warranty concerns.
I like the way you think!

Chinese tools are no different to tools from anywhere else, if you buy the cheapest available,that's what you'll get. Regardless of whether they're made in China, Britain,USA, Australia, India. There are cheap and there are expensive. I have almost exclusively Asian made tools,they're all years old, some 20, and they still work fine.
I have a $7 micrometer from China, it measures exactly the same as a Mitutoyo I have, but at $7, it gets chucked around everywhere, mostly lives on the floor or the bench, still works fine, even though I bought it about 10-12 years ago.

Not confirmed yet but I’m thinking about donating them to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and the tools can be used to help restore some of the great aircraft from the past.
I don’t expect they’ll have use for your metric stuff. Look into that. I personally haven’t come across aircraft with metric hardware. Airbus fasteners aren’t metric.

I don't know what to make of this, but... for some perverse reason, I greatly value tools that I have found rather than bought. I have found tools on the road, in derelict vehicles in the scrap yard, under the seats of cars I've bought and so on. Of the tools that I've found, the most common brand by a long shot is Snap-On. I have only bought two Snap-On tools in almost 50 years of wrenching; an exchangeable-bit screwdriver (for the quality of the bits) and a 1/2" drive Torq-o-Meter torque wrench. The torque wrench was bought out of the trunk of a car and was probably liberated from a high-school shop class. I have found that the Husky (real Husky, not Home Depot Husky), Craftsman, Proto, SK, Richardson, Gray, etc tools that I use are perfectly adequate for my use.

The only Snap-On items I used to be envious of were their screw drivers. I never bought any as I never had a convenient source, I don't know if they're still the same now.

The only Snap-On items I used to be envious of were their screw drivers. I never bought any as I never had a convenient source, I don't know if they're still the same now.
Their screwdrivers are good and many of mine have the older squarish plastic handles which aren’t bothered by grease and oil. The newer handles are a dual compound of soft and hard materials. They offer a hand good grip but sometimes get messed up by certain chemicals. Used to be the best phillips screwdrivers I owned until I discovered JIS screwdrivers, which the best, hand down. Funny thing is my dealer never heard of a JIS screwdriver, perhaps because they don’t offer one and if they acknowledged their existence, it could cannibalize their phillips sales?

For screwdrivers, I choose Klein. Except they don't make JIS.
Also for lineman's pliers, which linemen simply call "Kleins."

For screwdrivers, I choose Klein. Except they don't make JIS.
Also for lineman's pliers, which linemen simply call "Kleins."
I used to choose my screwdrivers based upon whether or not Skydrol would melt the handle, first and foremost.

1689776551270.png

You only need to get this in your eyes or on sensitive skin just once. The effect is identical to tear gas. It will also dissolve many plastics, including Craftsman screwdrivers.

I used to choose my screwdrivers based upon whether or not Skydrol would melt the handle, first and foremost.

View attachment 247337

You only need to get this in your eyes or on sensitive skin just once. The effect is identical to tear gas. It will also dissolve many plastics, including Craftsman screwdrivers.
Forget to wash your hands BEFORE you take a piss. :yikes:
Trust me... you'll only do it once. :cautious:

Forget to wash your hands BEFORE you take a piss. :yikes:
Trust me... you'll only do it once. :cautious:
When I started at the airport, an old timer told me, "Wash your hands twice and make sure they are completely dry before you touch your d!@k".
It was advice I always followed!!

Still got it in my eye, once and in my mouth, once. That's some nasty stuff!

Which reminds me of a joke...
Know how to tell a pilot from a mechanic in the bathroom?

One washes his hands before he pees!

Still got it in my eye, once and in my mouth, once. That's some nasty stuff!
Lost track of the times I got blinded by it. Guy I was working with... we both got it full in the face up in the main wheel well of a DC-8. Blinded us both... 10ft up in a wheel well, on the ramp 200ft from the shop. We wandered a bit yellin' our asses off 'till someone came out and guided us to an eyewash station. Fun times! :cautious:

Lost track of the times I got blinded by it. Guy I was working with... we both got it full in the face up in the main wheel well of a DC-8. Blinded us both... 10ft up in a wheel well, on the ramp 200ft from the shop. We wandered a bit yellin' our asses off 'till someone came out and guided us to an eyewash station. Fun times! :cautious:
Does it burn worse than brake clean?

Ooh, that's worse that my experience!
I forgot and rubbed "near" my eye. I guess sweat did the rest. It burned but I wasn't blind.
I once stuck my pen in my mouth while covered in skydrol. I know what it tastes like, I'm grateful my little brushes with it taught me well.
What I learned was, working in an electrical overhaul shop had no skydrol, was quiet, was clean and, most important during a Texas summer, had air conditioning!!

Back