For Sale - 1971 XS650 Barn Find Complete with only 3818 Miles on Ebay

They don't have to leave, you could outbid the Australians!
Thanks for the offer vinnie but not right now.

Wow, nice find interacts. The hidden sheds and barns are being cleaned-out.
I see that one has:

Later XS1B-XS2 black headlight switch.
Button-damper head, broken fin in front of advancer cover (dang it!!).
Later model clutch side cover.
Later rear shocks.
Different rear turn signals. Painted (?) Taillight bracket.

After restoration, what are these going for in OZ?

I know he wanted my XS-1B that I bought from an elderly local gentleman (original owner, 73 yrs old).

My 70 XS-1 as well...

I would love to outbid, but I'm not certain where he's finding a line on all these bikes?

I guess I'm just jealous cause I don't have the time to devote to finding these hidden gems and once they're gone, they're gone.

I know he wanted my XS-1B that I bought from an elderly local gentleman (original owner, 73 yrs old).

My 70 XS-1 as well...

I would love to outbid, but I'm not certain where he's finding a line on all these bikes?

I guess I'm just jealous cause I don't have the time to devote to finding these hidden gems and once they're gone, they're gone.

Hey Vinnie I just have perfected the scent of the XS1 to my nostrils and are now like a blood hound on heat.
They may be going to Australia but this is what they end up looking like.
Plus are you looking after my XS1B, doing regular oil changes and treating her right?
Is she ready to become an Aussie?:laugh:

1970 XS1.jpg

XS1green[1].jpg

Wow, nice find interacts. The hidden sheds and barns are being cleaned-out.
I see that one has:

Later XS1B-XS2 black headlight switch.
Button-damper head, broken fin in front of advancer cover (dang it!!).
Later model clutch side cover.
Later rear shocks.
Different rear turn signals. Painted (?) Taillight bracket.

After restoration, what are these going for in OZ?

Thanks it was a good find.
Yes there are things on her that are not correct but we have all those parts in stock.
The broken fin will be repaired like new and the correct engine cover will be replaced.
The engine is the same number as the frame (matching pair) and I would say that at some time in its life the cover was replaced.
Price here in Australia? will I cant put a price on that as nobody ever sells them once they have been restored.
Do you blame them, once you own one that's it.

Vinnie maybe it will help if you remember that you stole that 71 right out from under my grasping fingers. I was talking to shipping companies when you so thoughtlessly bought it!

Vinnie maybe it will help if you remember that you stole that 71 right out from under my grasping fingers. I was talking to shipping companies when you so thoughtlessly bought it!

Gee How many people were lined up to give Wayne the money.
I thought I was first in the queue until I got a dear John saving that a guy name vinnie had ran off with the goods!:banghead:

650skull was in that queue also.

Hotdog from Queensland Australia put me onto Wayne's bike but being so far away can sometimes be a disadvantage.
But Vinnie can send it to me if he is tired of polishing it .
Great score Gary with the XS1B I still haven't been lucky to find a good one.
That XS2 from Washington is on its way with the XS1 to Carson CA .
We managed to get around the problems without a title as we can take the motor out and bring it back as a parts bike with the motor following in the next shipment

xs_2[1].jpg

xs_1[1].jpg

Just found a 70-71 complete no title and a bit bastardized in minneapolis for $300. a bit far for me and there was already a line forming. I hope twoeightcustoms was first in line.

Fall is prime hunting season for sure.

I dug this Old girl out Of Ohio, 1970 XS1 with matching motor to frame and low mileage,
Gauges are like new good compression but a terrible hand painted paint job.
Very low engine/frame numbers S650000564

XS1 Ohio Photo.jpg

Ok, ok...point taken on Wayne's XS-1B.

But, in my defense, what was I to do?

He lives only an hour from my house and he and I hit it off immediately. Very nice gentleman indeed.

It was just a matter of weird timing when I saw the ad on here.

I had somehow earlier missed it but when I did see it on page 2 of the classifieds I thought surely this bike cant still be available?!

Just lucky timing...

Sure would love to find a nicely preserved 72 XS-2 to ad to my Tri-Fecta.

Yes, I have a 72 I bought from its original owner, but its nowhere near as nice as Wayne's bike is. This one is a 70's customized job...certainly worth restoring when I find the time (someday hopefully?).

We love these bikes in New Zealand and Australia as much as you guys, only finding them is rare as hens teeth especially in NZ. Old xs 's just a distant memory now for a lot of us........Nice to see this one, hope who ever buys it, restores it !!!!!!!!!

Whoever won that XS1B got a good starting project with every thing there and super low mileage.
As we all know a full restoration is made so much easier when you don't have to look for parts.
The rust isn't a draw back as this is no different than restoring a run down bike.
Low mileage if motor is ok will keep that costly motor rebuild down.
If our dollar wasn't so low I would have chased this.
Did you buy this one Vinnie??????

Last edited:
We love these bikes in New Zealand and Australia as much as you guys, only finding them is rare as hens teeth especially in NZ. Old xs 's just a distant memory now for a lot of us........Nice to see this one, hope who ever buys it, restores it !!!!!!!!!

Staying in my collection of Yamaha XS650s
I'm a Manawatu Boy so its as safe as having a kiwi Egg in the hot water cupboard.

Drug this home last night. Found it when he started ebaying parts, He was looking for $1000 with seat and side covers that were ebayed off. Found out ebaying a bike in pieces isn't really all that much fun. Extra fork tubes are in great shape. Tubes on the bike have some rust. included both factory manuals and a few other things shown. No title, he bought it from remarried widow of the owner, I will make a shot at getting a title. $350 and 300 miles on the van got it.
Kicks over with good compression on both sides.

View attachment 47668 View attachment 47669

View attachment 47670 View attachment 47671
just wondering if you are selling any parts of the bike. I'm interested in the front drum plate. Thanks for your time. Hope to hear from you soon.

Drug this home last night. Found it when he started ebaying parts, He was looking for $1000 with seat and side covers that were ebayed off. Found out ebaying a bike in pieces isn't really all that much fun. Extra fork tubes are in great shape. Tubes on the bike have some rust. included both factory manuals and a few other things shown. No title, he bought it from remarried widow of the owner, I will make a shot at getting a title. $350 and 300 miles on the van got it.
Kicks over with good compression on both sides.

View attachment 47668 View attachment 47669

View attachment 47670 View attachment 47671
just wondering if you are selling any parts of the bike. I'm interested in the front drum plate. Thanks for your time. Hope to hear from you soon.

LP

Whats an 83 Heritage Special, (Canadian built bike), worth in NZ these days. Mine is stored over there and in good nick.

Bought into NZ and sold new. I have the original rego papers from when they used to list the owners and mileage every time it changed hands.

Back