1973 yamaha TX650 should i get it.

xgreg27x

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi im new to this site and I don't know much about Yamaha bikes and I have the opportunity to buy a 1973 Yamaha TX650 in decent shape. Its been sitting for 2 years and doesn't run right know. The seat has a few tears in it and on the odometer it says 6868.3 miles. the guy wants $350.00 for it and I was wondering if its worth it and if so whats the value of it. Thanks Greg

Attachments

• 3r43qc3N85Fb5Ha5t8d6k30448d0cd4ec18ec.jpg
    3r43qc3N85Fb5Ha5t8d6k30448d0cd4ec18ec.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 3Fe3s13qd5Fa5s35Jdd6kf8bc3ec647ad1675.jpg
    3Fe3s13qd5Fa5s35Jdd6kf8bc3ec647ad1675.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 418
  • 3Kb3I13q45I25rd5H6d6k148727a35c491b59.jpg
    3Kb3I13q45I25rd5H6d6k148727a35c491b59.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 3r53L63J55L25Nd5E2d6kea460d067a6c1f34.jpg
    3r53L63J55L25Nd5E2d6kea460d067a6c1f34.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 379
No no you shouldn't buy that bike best to let one of the other board members have it PM me the address just so you are no longer tempted.

That's a low price but it's going to take a lot of work to get it reliable, the rust is pretty advanced. It's been sitting a lot longer than 2 years. Probably longer than 20 years.

Does the engine turn over?

No no you shouldn't buy that bike best to let one of the other board members have it PM me the address just so you are no longer tempted.

That's a low price but it's going to take a lot of work to get it reliable, the rust is pretty advanced. It's been sitting a lot longer than 2 years. Probably longer than 20 years.

Does the engine turn over?

Ya it turns over The guy had it running and driving two years ago. Whats it worth in its condition.

It's certainly worth $350.00. From my experience you can take a bike that looks pretty awful from sitting, give some TLC and a few repairs and have a decent bike for cheap. Or it would be a good candidate for teardown and rebuild. Either way I don't see how you could go wrong for that price.

DLD1

It's certainly worth $350.00. From my experience you can take a bike that looks pretty awful from sitting, give some TLC and a few repairs and have a decent bike for cheap. Or it would be a good candidate for teardown and rebuild. Either way I don't see how you could go wrong for that price.

DLD1

Ok if I get it and I find it to much to rebuild or get running what do you think the resale could be. I don't want to take a loss or anything.

Here on the west coast if you just cleaned it up really well you could get $500.00-$750.00 for it. $1000.00-$1500 if you make it run. If the guy had it running two years ago, it should be pretty easy to get it to run. Mine sat in a guys back yard for three years and I had it running within a couple of hours of getting it home.

Good luck,

DLD1

IMHO it's worth about what he's asking if you like long involved projects. That rust means there is very little that is useable in creating a nice bike. We will assume it has a title. Bet those tires don't even have the 3 digit DOT code on them (used in the 90's)
He might have limped it up and down the block two years ago but that ain't "running and driving" Any front brakes? Didn't think so. Sorry but I have done a bunch of old bikes and I still think that wasn't a "runner" two years ago. Really just a heads up it's big project. If that's OK with you, the early bikes are gaining in value all the time. Though I do think the market has softened a bit this year.
California is a different world price wise.
If you really want to ride it, lay "the save the old gal" rap on him. Let us know how it comes out? If you are just flipping it, we don't really care.

Gary makes good points, it really just depends on what you want to do with it. I'm sure you would no problem selling it for what you paid.

In that case, you take it home, clean it really well, get some 0000 steel wool for the rusty chrome, Clean out the carbs and gas tank, and see if you can get it to run.

these are not bikes you can just jump on at 3 in the morning, fire up and ride to work every day. once in a while, sure.
But these are not comuter bikes(there are exceptions to every rule)
especially a bike that's been obviously sitting longer than two years.
get it though, I would.
But then again, I owned a 84 fiero for a while. lol

For what you'd have in it to make a reliable commuter, you could buy a new bike. $350 is a good buy on that bike as a collector, or special interest motorcycle. I like it!

I was looking for cam shafts for the early 277 engine a few months ago. E-bayers were asking $350.00 just for the cam. I eventually found a whole engine for $150.00. I'd say get it at $350. It's an expensive project for sure if you want it stock and original looking. Using all the parts for a bobber/chopper. It's a good starting price and if you can do the work your self, you can build something rideable in the $2500.00 range. JMO.

How much it will cost to make reliable has a lot to do with your abilities, patience, time and resourcefulness. Does it have good compression, and can you shift through the gears? If so, then you have a good start. You will likely need at least a new cam chain guide, carb boots (JBM), carb diaphragms (JBM), carb rebuild kits, possibly jets, fuse block (modern blade type because glass fuses suck), master cylinder rebuild kit, caliper rebuild kit, brake shoes and pads, drive chain, tires, spark plugs, stator brushes.....

I don't say that to discourage you, but to give you fair warning about what it takes to get an old bike running reliably. If you do the work, these can absolutely be a reliable form of transportation that you can hop on at any hour and buzz away on. I would not recommend any 30+ year-old vehicle for those not mechanically-inclined.

For those of you who don't think an XS650 is a good commuter bike, I paid one dollar for mine from a co-worker, bought a battery and replaced a plug wire to get it running after sitting for three years in a back yard. I've been commuting on it for 4 years and
it's never stranded me. Sure I've made repairs, but mostly as preventative maintenance and upgrades. Points ignition works just fine, stock carbs work fine if cleaned up properly, decent tires are available cheap, and 650 Central and Mikes XS as well as a few others provide good support for parts. Go for it, and enjoy a really special bike that has some character!

Back