1977 xs 650 solid state reg/ rec fried!

slayer123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i wired up the xs 650 with a solid state regulator/ rectifier i bought made by Procom for points ignition systems. Model ESR350. the bike wasn't charging the battery so i began testing. one test told me to ground the green wires from the solid state to see if the battery voltage jumped up to 14.5vdc. so i did and when i kicked the bike over it started to run fine but than the soild state regulator/ rectifier started smoking and pretty much fried since there was brown stuff oozing out of it. I have the brushes ungrounded with nylon screws too. Whatever that does... I need to buy a new solid state for points ignitions.

My questions are what kind of solid state reg/ rectifier would you recommend? do i really need to unground the brushes? what is the point in it? I know on the TC bros website their solid state says you don't need to unground any brushes...

Any thing helps! Thanks!

Yep, you toasted it. Grounding the green wire is to test the '80-'83 alternators. The points-type '70-'79 alternators have reverse-powered rotors, and you grounded the regulator power output to the rotor.

Grind thru this thread, then look closely at posts #8 and #29.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36780

Do a forum google search on "nylon screw mod" for info on that unique mod, that you don't need to do.

Here's a solid-state reg/rec for the 70-79 charging system:

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2089.html

slayer123;

Don't waste your money on a combined rec/reg ...................$105 is very expensive. You're better off to use separate units. For the 1970 to 1979 years the simple and inexpensive method is to use an NOS automotive VR-115 regulator. You can buy a 3
phase rectifier from E-bay. Its a low cost and very reliable solution.

Details in this link:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21485

So i wired up the xs 650 with a solid state regulator/ rectifier i bought made by Procom for points ignition systems. Model ESR350. the bike wasn't charging the battery so i began testing.

A points ignition system reg/rect already has a ground through the brushes so the Reg/Rect does not get a ground

one test told me to ground the green wires from the solid state!

The later, 80-84 Factory ignition system, (TCI), (no points models), ground through the Reg/Rect. The brushes are insulated, so no ground.

The article was for the later models, 80-84

to see if the battery voltage jumped up to 14.5vdc. so i did and when i kicked the bike over it started to run fine but than the soild state regulator/ rectifier started smoking and pretty much fried since there was brown stuff oozing out of it.

I have the brushes ungrounded with nylon screws too.

Again....The brushes should be the ground

Whatever that does... I need to buy a new solid state for points ignitions.
My questions are what kind of solid state reg/ rectifier would you recommend?

Read through the link that RG posted. All the relivant info is on page #1.

Note: ............Very Important...................The last post #20, on page #1 by Retiredgentalman Has important information regarding difference between points and factory electronic, (TCI), ignition, aftermarket regulators.

The post i made showing the Pamco Pete article has the regulator grounded and the points insulated because it is for the 80-84 Factory electronic, (TCI), igniton. The rectifier, (home made), can be used on any ignition,. Points or TCI

do i really need to unground the brushes?

No. For a points ignition Reg/Rect .......................Yes if you use a Factory TCI ignition Reg/Rect

what is the point in it? I know on the TC bros website their solid state says you don't need to unground any brushes...

Any thing helps! Thanks!

Forget what you have read on other sites. This thread and the links posted are all you will need

Last edited:
Back