1977 XS650 tripmeter knob broken off

nhsteve

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, actually, it's on an RD400. But the meters are roughly the same. A previous owner put clubman bars on the bike, and promptly cleaned the tripmeter knob completely off. I've read other threads indicating that a small screw (jeez- it must be small- I can't even see it on the '78 XS I have!!) holds the knob on, and the meter gasket looks like it has a hole to accommodate the shaft.

Is there a reliable speedometer repair outfit that one could send to, either for parts or service?

HVC Cycle has reset knobs and they are billet aluminum ! I was looking at these, thinking they might work on our XS650’s .
Of course you would need to verify the fit for yourself , but it might be an option.

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-rd350-rd250-odometer-trip-reset-knob-hvc200148/

A148499E-8C68-44D3-95DE-80176E40F51F.jpeg

Thank you both. As the meters for the RD250/350 are more like the ones from the '74/'75 TX/XS650s, they may not quite be right for the RD400 I have. But I had forgotten about HVC (odd, as I use them a lot), so thanks for the reminder.
I'll try to make some time this fall to get the RD speedo out of the cup so I can investigate. My fear is that the shaft that the knob threads on to has been snapped off. In which case I'll be in search mode for either a dead-but-intact similar meter I can steal the part from, or an expert who can make the repair (preferable- hmmm....... maybe HVC?)

Thanks again!

Back