1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ok I am about to rescind my last statement, elbow grease sucks.... so does engine grease, and years of oxidation and.... my god it is endless

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I worked 15 hours today, and as I pulled the van onto my street I see my wife hovering over my engine!?!

I am thinking, oh god now what,
well... My wife is an amazing lady, turns out she spent hours today cleaning the engine with a brush and cleaner... wow

Attachments

• IMG_4512.JPG
    IMG_4512.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4513.JPG
    IMG_4513.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4514.JPG
    IMG_4514.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 253
Hell yes! She is amazing.My wife wouldn't even think about cleaning my engine.
She's done a great job. Better take her out to dinner for that.

^This. And try taking out the garbage once in a while (kidding!). :) I love to see spouses take an interest in what the other is doing!

So... sorry I have not put pics up in a week. I have nothing to show, I work on this thing every day and sadly I am realizing that every single part down to the smallest screw needs to be refurbed or replaced. so every time I turn around I realize there is something I left out of paint. so onward and upward the struggle endures, I WILL keep working...

There are some rough decisions ahead, first and foremost, I have to decide what to do with the headlight ears...

they are to far gone to polish, so at first I think okay get the ears, the fenders, and the taillight re chromed...
No way! I can buy new fenders and a new tail light for less...
But, no one sells the original ears and now I have to decide if I want to paint them...
It is things like this that make me realize I will never return her to showroom, however how showroom is a PMA? and do I really want to do all this work to have a bike that dies 10 miles from my house? so if going with a PMA and Pamco, should I really be worried about the ears?

I also was looking at my seat today and found under the document plate, a plastic bag that was put there by Yamaha!?! so much original stuff, but no way to make her right...

not to mention with the pma it will have different coils, reg/rec.... and the tires won t be right and the exhaust is going commando because I cant stomach $590 for an "original" that isnt... so why should I care that the ears get paint?

Dood! Take a deep breath! This is why anyone who has attempted a resto will tell you that it's 10 times harder to resto than redo.

I would start watching eBay for nice used replacement parts. Eventually, you'll find the parts you need at a reasonable cost.

Finally! I have every single piece that gets painted in prep... I went through every bag and box and found them all! now were on track...

also, I am not complaining because I am happy to be able to find parts, new parts for a 35 year old bike with so many years and model variants, but..
I got my first delivery from mikesxs, all frame stuff so I can get going...
I ordered a new center stand because the feet were rusted through on mine. The new one came yesterday and the mounting loops are welded awful. both sides need to be ground and the left side is mis aligned and offset... so now i have to shave a 16th off the inner side and put a spacer on the outer, or I may cut the top off my original and weld that to the new one... damn quality control is bad.

also got a new kickstand, and of course it is silver, or raw... haven't looked close yet, but I believe these were painted on the 77's... any ideas?

but I did also receive my roller bearings and my brass bushings! along with about 8 grease nipples I ordered, so I can put a nipple anywhere I want for service.

my chain guard and my rider footpegs were bad... real bad. but as of yesterday I think I have sanded enough that I can save both and just use a small amount of filler on the chain guard... no holes just real bad pitting.

The sidestands I have are painted black.
The problems you are having with new aftermarket parts are what makes 5twins advice valuable. There are some really nice bits and pieces out there. You just have to keep watching and waiting.

but I did also receive my roller bearings and my brass bushings! along with about 8 grease nipples I ordered, so I can put a nipple anywhere I want for service.

you said nipple!:laugh:

my 80 xs650 special has it's stands painted black.

I just finished unplugging the birds nest of wiring inside the headlight of my 1977 - and as I pulled the complete wiring harness off the bike, I couldn't help think about Alien vs Predator when the predator pulled the spine clean off the human victim. I hope I'll be able to plug all those wires back in place several months from now after the frame is done...

Back