1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Uh oh. Thats not much. You could certainly have fracked rings since the thing was stuck when you got it. As you know, I'll have bench space for a rebuild shortly... :)

You have me confused with lawrgj, my motor was never stuck and I'm in RI. But I still have bad compression...Don't think it's the rings but the valves. I can see bubbles where the valves seat when I put spray WD-40 in it on a compression stroke. I can see both exhaust and intake are bubbling. Kinda wish I was in Portland.

Just saw the mailman!

I got some turn signals to possibly cut down so I dont have outriggers hanging off my front end... we will see.

two hacked up harnesses, that I bought just to scavenge for parts if needed.

Chrysler and radioshack reg/rec, although I dont think I will use because I am sold on hugh's pms and will order as soon as it is in stock...

new handlebar switches, which I was hoping would replace mine but wrong year, however, the only think wrong with mine is a missing starter button so I will at least make mine right with these...

a new left side alt cover, small ding but in great shape and cheap!

and a new headlight ass. which is awesome because I now have a black and a chrome bucket... but most important I have a trim ring both inner rings, and the gasket!

so all in all a great day!

Also I have a post about swingarm bushings where everyone collectively had some great advice! If you are going to install new bushings go check it out it will tell you the future

of all the wisdom I choose to ignore,,,
DO NOT USE RATTLE CANS FOR YOUR FRAME!

I know I should have had it painted, but in the long run I though that I would like to do everything in my garage...

Now I have to deal with every time I hear a clang realizing that there is more paint gone... First of all I shouldn't be touching anything till next year so it can cure...

So in the long run, I have to decide real quick what I am going to do...
I wish I knew a painter in portland.

and now on a brighter note,

frame looks good even if stupid idea, I have re cut the threads to accept standard thread SS hardware I can get local... [/IMG]

here is that hardware
IMG_4583_zps521c241e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4578_zps022adfe2.jpg
    IMG_4578_zps022adfe2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
and finally got the steering races seated,,, new rollers![/IMG]
[/IMG]
IMG_4584_zps80c46662.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4585_zpsf5d83a42.jpg
    IMG_4585_zpsf5d83a42.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4599_zpsa9244ce8.jpg
    IMG_4599_zpsa9244ce8.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3
Just ordered two cans of spraymax 2 part clear,,, let the fun begin.
I am going to hit all my painted parts with it and I should be in the clear, ha no pun intended!

so I used
rustoleum auto primer over an etched frame
then ace hardware black gloss
now spray max,
so far the other two play nice dont know what the spray max will do.
dont really care either I guess if it messes up the paint, I have to get it pro painted anyway...
But here's to garage resto's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Just did a compression test on my motor...uh oh. I have 40 lbs in one and 60 in the other. Used WD-40 but I guess I could try 10-40 and see if it gets better. There's alot of carbon in the exhaust valves. Is there a way of cleaning it without removing the top?

there is a thread on exhaust valve cleaning in the tech section did it with out removing them

lawrgj, I'd sure try a small painted part with that clear.The ace hardware black gloss isn't
hardened so it might wrinkle on ya.

so, I had a missing starter button on my right hand controls, and being that I am going through everything here are some pics!
IMG_4604_zps0b1020c8.jpg

here is the sacrificial wrong year control
IMG_4608_zpsc6522c9d.jpg

here is the original
IMG_4609_zps1f778262.jpg

and if anyone is interested this is how and what it looks like inside...
IMG_4618_zps7ddb6b73.jpg

be careful!
IMG_4619_zps193b4a52.jpg

IMG_4620_zps2658607d.jpg

cleaned everything and scrubbed the casing... I am going to use a testors model paint pen in satin black to touch up... I painted the red line on kill switch and white line on toggle
IMG_4627_zpsfce6015c.jpg

IMG_4629_zpsef997577.jpg

new donor button!
IMG_4630_zpsb01dc880.jpg

2 coats etching primer, 10 min between coats, light sand 2000 - 2 coats DupliColor 7 min between coats or until tack- 3 coats clear re apply when tachy or you get orange peel. Then wetsand I start with 1000/1500/2000/2500/3000. Then buff.
Im no pro but Ive been around them and Ive been taught this way and i have had great results.

Back