1978 xs650 dirtbike

Young1978xs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How to make 1978 xs650 look and feel more like a dirtbike Or duel sport? Also how can I make it lighter? Thanks for any input I'm new to forums and I'm still learning

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 1,120
Scrambler pipes, progressive front fork springs, longer travel rear shocks.
Ditch the starter and most of the associated electronics, kick start only, pma, pamco ignition.
Just to name some things.

How much will it cost me to make it kick only with pamco ignition?

Do separate search's in the "Garage" section of the forum for 4 things.
Kick only
Pma
Pamco
Dual sport
You will find tons of info.
Once you know what you need, you can go shopping.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
For a more "Dirtbike" oriented XS, I would do the following:
-Use 19" rear and 21" front spoked wheels
-Use longer shocks with more travel at the back, 4" shock travel gives around 5" wheel travel
-Move foot pegs further back, for better balance when standing, and use mx/enduro type pegs
-Drop weight wherever possible. Lighter chain and sprockets can also provide alternative gearing. Plastic fenders, a lighter seat and a smaller tank. Remove starter and use small battery, or use batteryless CDI ignition. Replace all lights with smaller and lighter alternatives.
-Replace the stock exhaust with something lighter, and with more ground clearance
-Mount a solid bash plate for the engine cases.
-Use a gear pedal with a pivoting and spring loaded end
-Basically look at an older, 600 cc offroad bike, and try to find similar solutions for the XS.
-If money was no object, a Rickman Metisse rolling chassis would be close to the ultimate Dirt XS

For a more "Dirtbike" oriented XS, I would do the following:
-Use 19" rear and 21" front spoked wheels
-Use longer shocks with more travel at the back, 4" shock travel gives around 5" wheel travel
-Move foot pegs further back, for better balance when standing, and use mx/enduro type pegs
-Drop weight wherever possible. Lighter chain and sprockets can also provide alternative gearing. Plastic fenders, a lighter seat and a smaller tank. Remove starter and use small battery, or use batteryless CDI ignition. Replace all lights with smaller and lighter alternatives.
-Replace the stock exhaust with something lighter, and with more ground clearance
-Mount a solid bash plate for the engine cases.
-Use a gear pedal with a pivoting and spring loaded end
-Basically look at an older, 600 cc offroad bike, and try to find similar solutions for the XS.
-If money was no object, a Rickman Metisse rolling chassis would be close to the ultimate Dirt XS

Might be less work to look for a donor dirt bike,and put the XS lump in that?? Lots of measuring but if you have a welder,anything is possible.

1st thing I did was increase suspension travel. Triumph Scrambler rear shocks and progressive front springs with spacers. Before all that the bike would bottom out constantly when riding the trails.

I probably lost about 50 Lbs by swapping the factory seat, put in a lightweight battery and removed anything that was deemed necessary for riding.

102_1431.jpg

I was at the local junkyard on Monday, and the owner and I got to talking and it turns out he really likes XS650s. We got talking about weight, and he started to tell me about an XS650 dual-sport he built. He used a whole front end off of a different bike, a 400 or 450 something I believe with 11 inches of travel. He said both forks and the wheel weighed as much as one XS fork. He also made a custom 2-1 exhaust with a titanium R1 muffler. He said the muffler weighed like 2lbs. I think he said he removed at least 100lbs by the time he was done.

Now, this is saying it's totally possible. However, this guy has mad fabrication and motorcycle skills, so I don't doubt that almost everything on the bike was custom.

1st thing I did was increase suspension travel. Triumph Scrambler rear shocks and progressive front springs with spacers. Before all that the bike would bottom out constantly when riding the trails.

I probably lost about 50 Lbs by swapping the factory seat, put in a lightweight battery and removed anything that was deemed necessary for riding.

102_1431.jpg

Hey there furious d, I like that look! Just scored this solo seat from a portland XS fan and the tank/tail bag from a buddy at work.

[/URL][/IMG]

047.jpg

Last edited:
Young1978xs650 I'm curious what you came up with in the last three years since this post. I am going the "adventure bike" route with my 82 sick fity rebuild. I'm also on the "international brotherhood of adventure riders" facebook group and I'm getting all inspired to build out a cool, retro cheap version of those dual sport bikes. All, belated thanks for those tips!

One thing that worries me is first gear. So far, I've just gotten mine to the point I could take a quick spin around the parking lot and first seems pretty high for dirt. At the same time, I'll bet that vibrating massager is wound out pretty well at highway speed in 5th without putting a smaller sprocket on the back. ArcticXS above suggests building out a larger back rim and I was going to do that for a tracker look, but again, that seem like it effectively gears the bike up even higher which could be a problem on trails.

Any thoughts if any of you are still around would be appreciated.

- - - One thing that worries me is first gear. So far, I've just gotten mine to the point I could take a quick spin around the parking lot and first seems pretty high for dirt. At the same time, I'll bet that vibrating massager is wound out pretty well at highway speed in 5th without putting a smaller sprocket on the back. ArcticXS above suggests building out a larger back rim and I was going to do that for a tracker look, but again, that seem like it effectively gears the bike up even higher which could be a problem on trails. - - -
Hi John,
after all the "adventure rider" mods are installed on your XS650 it ain't gonna be best suited for high speed highway riding anyway.
Use whatever diameter wheels best suit your build, the rear tire OD is frame-limited anyway.
17T/36T sprockets (stock sprockets on the Heritage Special) would be a good compromise for your build.
I briefly tried 17T/38T on my XS650 sidecar rig, talk about 4 speeds + underdrive!

Back