For Sale - 1978 XS650E for sale

Shovel Jockey

Piano Tuna
Reaction score
Upstate South Carolina mountains, (Moonshiner 28)
IMG_0533.JPG
Selling my 78E. She's a sweetie and a steal at $3000. PM me for the specifics

I TOLD Y'ALL............................I've seen this bike up close ( last year at the Dogwood) ) and it's stunning.

I had a shot at it but it's green and I didn't think you could purchase a late model sportster for $3000. (long story) Oh well.......................somebody is going to be a happy camper.

Gordon in NC who didn't want another project.....but ended up with three.

To be honest, if you would had just told me what you wanted for the bike you wouldn't have it now.

Some people like to haggle......some don't mind being the buyer and the seller....I'm one of those folks that wants to hear the bottom line....if I want it and can afford it, it's a done deal and I don't try to talk it down once I get there and see the bike.

But that's just me....this bike will sell, it's beautiful and it's a fair price for both parties.

The right buyer will be along shortly.

Take care, Gordon just up the road in NC

So here's the low down. I bought this 78E; VIN 2F00005382 mfg.8/77; in Asheville NC the summer of 2011. Similar to the 77D that recently was posted, it was a one owner with 494 miles on it. Although this bike had been in a collection of twenty something other bikes. The PO would buy a bike new, take it through break in and pickle it and put it away. Since then I've put nearly 29,000 miles on it. At around 20K I started getting some racket around the timing chain. I had been doing my own maintenance and upgrades and had inadvertently been over tightening the chain adjuster because this model didn't have a locknut and had a burr or rough place on the acorn cap nut; when I'd put it on it would tighten the chain further and wore the guides prematurely. Even though I'm a decent wrench I didn't feel confident in tearing into the engine for the repair so I took it to a local shop. Big mistake. Got the bike back and within a couple of hundred miles it developed a deep knock somewhere down around the crank yet the shop washed their hands of it. I pulled the engine myself and replaced it with a running 75B motor I had in my shop that had 16K on it. I kept the early 78 carbs,(still fully adjustable) and upgraded the chain tensioner to one from an 81 with a locknut. I've put 8 or 9K on it since without any problems. The original engine is still on the bench. The bike is mostly stock except for some mechanical upgrades and a few mild ergonomic changes. Mirrors, Euro style bars and a 74-76 style seat. Mechanically bronze swing arm bushings, fairly recent 17/32 sprockets with a 530 o-ring chain. Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Tapered head bearings, manual petcocks, K&N inbox filters, iridium plugs, and a pair of Avon AM26 Roadriders 100/90 front 4" rear. It's straight and never been dropped. Paints original and sharp. Tanks clean and never been coated. Pipes are straight and rust free. Seats developing a split along the lower edge on the left and the little starter button cap broke the other day but the electric does work but I rarely used it as this is a one kick bike hot or cold. She handles great. All the electrics work except for the signal cancellation thing which I took off line. Jetmechmarty, Gordon in NC and a few others have seen it and ridden with me over in Suches Ga. Like a dumbass I waaaay over priced it to Gordon and missed a chance to send it to a great home. So sorry man. For 3K this would make one great ride. If the buyer is concerned about a numbers matching bike I could include the original engine but I'm not sure what to ask for it as I haven't tore it down yet to determine the knock around the crank. Joe (828)508-3772. Joehardync@gmail.com

Last edited:
Joe, I figure things work out for a reason. The projects I ended up with need to be back on the road and I figure I'm owing it to the XS community to get that done.

BUT........the new owner better not drag his/her feet to long or I'll own that beautiful green machine after all.

I would have to have that engine that came with it.......only seems right it go back in it one of these days.

The new owner is out there.......with my luck....it won't take long for them to find each other.

Going to take the 75B out today to visit my daddy's ashes up on Grandfather Mountain. Going to be a beautiful day here in NC.

Take care......be safe........Gordon just up the road in NC

Back