For Sale - SOLD---Parting Out 72 XS650 to build a Chopper

Chewmaize

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm selling everything that's coming off of my 72 to finance my chopper build. Exhaust, complete front end, tank, seat.... you name it. About the only parts I'm planning to use are the engine and the cradle and the rear wheel assembly. She's old, but she runs and I've taken her down the road a couple times. I'm in the process of stripping her down as I type this. I'm a certified Harley tech (rooted 2012 due to health) and am being cautious so as not to hurt anything anything. Spent $350 on the front fender to have her re-chromed. Tank shows her age, just a little faded with minimal surface rust. Looking to part with everything in one shot to get the build started. Located in Mansfield, Louisiana. Not sure what to ask for as far as $ goes.....shoot me an offer.

Attachments

• 20230828_135957.jpg
    20230828_135957.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230828_135951.jpg
    20230828_135951.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230828_135945.jpg
    20230828_135945.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 104
I'm relatively new to this forum and these bikes at about 3.5 years into the forum, and 4 years on my '74. That said, I've come to understand that you have one of the most sought out model years there is, and it seems complete. You might get more loot by selling the bike complete to someone who wants the original, and making a chopper out of a less expensive, less desirable model year bike.
I'm sure there are some who will agree with me, and I'm sure there are some who will tell me to mind my own business, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. I'm biased as I do like the originals generally.

Totally get where you're coming from. The bike (namely just the engine) has to stay in the family. What Dad says, goes. That being said, that's the only reason that I haven't done the exact sinario that you laid out. This will be a good jumping off point for my new son-in-law. He's new to riding, but he seems to be grasping the lifestyle. Back on point. I can't sell the engine and cradle. Hopefully someone will jump at the opportunity for the rest of the bike. I'm a Harley mechanic, but I've been wanting to do a 70's metric build for a few years now. Jazzed about doing it with the heart of the old man's "old ride".

rear fender and related assembly/support/tailight? If not rusted (surface rust okay), bent, or cracked?

I'll be finishing up the disassembly today/this evening. Nothing is rusted that I've ran across (some surface rust, nothing major). Everything so far has been straight. She's actually in really good shape. Odometer reads 33,934. Looks to be accurate to me.

Thanks....if you haven't already promised this stuff, I'd also be interested in front fender, headlight bucket, and side covers. I have a 72 as my next restore.

I'm going to post pics this evening once she's apart. I'd rather sell everything at once for a lump sum, but will part out individually if no one is interested in everything. All proceeds will go to the rebuild.

Something I just thought of. I live in northern Louisiana about 40 miles south of Shreveport. I would be willing to load everything up in my truck and deliver to your front door if you buy everything. I'd ask that you cover fuel/hotel/food. Distance isn't that big of a deal (use to drive over-the-road).

Something I just thought of. I live in northern Louisiana about 40 miles south of Shreveport. I would be willing to load everything up in my truck and deliver to your front door if you buy everything. I'd ask that you cover fuel/hotel/food. Distance isn't that big of a deal (use to drive over-the-road).
I am definitely interested. I'm in Austin, TX, so the whole round trip for you could be easily done in one day. I just need to know exactly what I'm getting, like pictures, so that I can make an offer.

Do you still have the front signal lights, tack and left handlebar control switch, if so let me know how much, I could really use them. thx don

Back