1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

Is that what that is, a 270° motor? I could learn to love it I'm sure, with a little throatier exhaust. If I had one, I think I'd try fitting Commando mufflers. I see they do offer a performance exhaust but it costs $500+ and you know what it gains for you? One HP, lol.
There are a lot of muffler options for that bike including S&S. The one I rode had aftermarket muffler and tuned accordingly. The music was very sweet, loud, but not loud enough to be a nuisance to the neighbors. I was grinning.

I haven't road one yet, just love the classic style with modern fuel injection.

Hope to ride one when I get to TN.
Just remember, modern fuel injection requires fuel injection parts, and wiring! The XS650 needs none of that. It can run without chips.

R.,
You will find the correct NGK BP7ES available on eBay in the UK. Right now, that's what we have. Try a few NAPA stores. You might get lucky.

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2018/07/23/80-83-yamaha-xs650-carburetor-slide-piston-rubber-diaphragm/
View attachment 198099

Thanks Marty,
After I thought I had checked every store in town, the second I read your reply I realized I didn't check NAPA. So I looked online and several nearby NAPA stores claim to have them. (NGK BP7ES #1034). But that's what all the websites say, then they deliver something different.. I'll believe it when I see them. I ordered, and paid for, some for store pickup. And NOT for delivery -- I've had enough of that!

Regarding the diaphragm assemblies at CruzinImage.net. I almost bought a couple of them because of:
1) Your recommendation.
2) The reasonable price.
But reading the few details they do give, and after reading their return policy, I thought I would ask you this: Please tell me what is your level of certainty Part 3F7-14940-00 would be the exact correct replacement part for my bike?

It's hard for me to trust some websites. I can't even trust the exploded diagrams on the Yamaha website to actually be the correct diagram for the model or year they say they are. As an example, for the 1978 XS650SE they show a Mikuni BS34/3G1-00 diagram. But my 1978 Yamaha Service Manual XS650E with XS650SE supplemental, 2nd Edition, clearly says the carbs are Mikuni BS38/2F0-00 in both sections. At some point one could become confused. But when I'm feeling desperate enough I will bet the cost and roll the dice in hopes I get lucky and receive the correct part.

The Cruzin Image website is nearly devoid of details for some of the products they offer. But they are quite specific about model years and part numbers. In this case they show the fit models as 80-83 XS650 and part number 3F7-14940-00. While my 78 SE diaphragm assembly part number is 2F0-14940-00-00. That's not very encouraging. The picture they show offers little encouragement either. If they would show clearly the top and bottom of the object where the different shapes and holes are that would help. The only interesting thing about all this is that the Yamaha website lists 2F0-14940-00-00 for years 1978-1980, and 3H5-14940-00 for years 1981-1983. I only looked at the Specials, SE through SJ but I didn't find Part 3F7-14940-00 at all. So that's why I asked the question. And with all your experience with all the XS650's in your stable you are one I should ask!

Thanks again,
R.

The slide/diaphragm assemblies from CruzinImage are for the BS34s. If you have BS38 carbs, they won't fit. Yes, the carb parts diagrams for the '78 Special on many websites are wrong. They show BS34 carbs which didn't come along until the 1980 models. BS38 carbs came on all the '78 and '79 models.

R.
Slide diaphragm for a '78 is at JBM Industries.

Marty,
When I read your reply, JBM Industries rang a bell. So I went to the garage and looked through my parts. Sure enough, that was where I bought the diaphragms that I described as like "large rubber rings" in my post. The ones I didn't use yet. So I still have them, and upon inspection they still look and feel like new. I didn't find an invoice, just the shipping envelope, but that must've been close to 15 years ago. I think maybe customers had to call him on the telephone in those days to place an order. Or maybe his website wasn't working. But I do remember calling and speaking with him for whatever the reason.. He told me all about how he makes these things on a big rubber molding machine in his basement and everything like that.. And the reason why he happened to make the mold for the Yamaha 650 part I wanted. How it's done and so forth. Very interesting, and a very nice gentleman. I remember telling him not to ever die, because it would be tragic to the many people who benefit from and appreciate what only he does.

R.

The slide/diaphragm assemblies from CruzinImage are for the BS34s. If you have BS38 carbs, they won't fit. Yes, the carb parts diagrams for the '78 Special on many websites are wrong. They show BS34 carbs which didn't come along until the 1980 models. BS38 carbs came on all the '78 and '79 models.
Aha. Well that's good to know. And good I was hesitant. It's not always the case my chronic indecision is helpful to me. I'm glad to find out about the CruzinImage website. I should do as they suggest and browse it from time to time. When the availability window closes on some of this stuff God may not always open a door somewhere else.

Thanks,
R.

Post a picture of your carburetors. In this many years, parts can get swapped. Aluminum caps are a sign that you have BS38, but even those caps swap over to the BS34.

Thanks Marty,
After I thought I had checked every store in town, the second I read your reply I realized I didn't check NAPA. So I looked online and several nearby NAPA stores claim to have them. (NGK BP7ES #1034). But that's what all the websites say, then they deliver something different.. I'll believe it when I see them. I ordered, and paid for, some for store pickup. And NOT for delivery -- I've had enough of that!

Save yourself some trouble and get the resistor plug BP7RES and non-resistor caps.
@5twins has posted several times regarding this. I made the switch a couple months ago and no issues.

yg3iLp9.jpg

Save yourself some trouble and get the resistor plug BP7RES and non-resistor caps.
@5twins has posted several times regarding this. I made the switch a couple months ago and no issues.

yg3iLp9.jpg
Hi,
I had made note of 5twins post, and saved the picture. Good to know it's a tried and recommended solution; however, and recalling all I intended to do at the outset was replace the spark plugs, I first took Marty's NAPA suggestion.
I ordered six plugs, the max NAPA online would allow with store pickup. After a week I called the store. They had gathered five plugs, but they would would have to get the sixth plug from Sacramento, and it would be a BPR7ES. I cancelled that one and picked up my five beautiful new NGK BP7ES plugs. Two are in yellow boxes with BP7ES, and USA, but no #1034 printed on them. Three are in the (I think newer) grey boxes which do say #1034. To me, the yellow boxed plugs appear to be higher quality. Nonetheless perfect condition all, not even a scratch on the boxes. I also got a spark plug socket thread chaser with some of the money I saved from no E-bay.
In the meantime, while waiting for NAPA, I picked up my previously ordered, from O'Reilly, the only Champion N7Y plugs I could find locally. You know, the other spark plug recommended in the Yamaha manual, that I've not seen mentioned by anyone here. Actually, they're Champion N7YC (superseded). "The C means they're made of copper," I was told. What were the plain old N7Y made of? I inquired. "Who knows." Was the answer. When buying parts, "These should work" are words that make me cringe. Anyway, the Champions look like they've been kicking around for a long time. Worn, crumpled boxes that can barely stay closed. No little plastic (or even the cheap cardboard such as NGK uses now) cylindrical things protecting the threads and electrodes. And missing the adapters that screw on the terminal studs. Such as they are, now I have two of those too. Probably a lifetime supply of plugs (my lifetime, if not the bike's). As well as the four Partszilla BPR7ES #5534 plugs I can transition to with the LZFH non-resistor caps as you suggest. Speaking of those; and note I'm still running with the original coils, and I believe, OEM wires. Did the XS650 originally come with non-resistor caps? If so then, should I replace the existing NGK LB05F 5KΩ caps with NGK LZFH caps regardless of which plugs?

Thanks for your attention,
R.

No, all 650s came with resistor plug caps. But, if you still run points, you can change to the non-resistor caps if you like. If you're going to do that, I recommend changing out those 40+ year old original wires too. A solid wire core (non-resistor) silicone wire is what you want. I buy the EMPI kits for VW Beetles .....

WR31ZYy.jpg

Quick question everyone,

Now that the bike is in storage I want to get a ball park figure to do a top end rebuild. Where is the best place to buy gaskets, timing chain, chain guide, etc. Would like to buy everything at once if possible.

Thanks,

Tim

The big factor in a topend rebuild cost will be whether you can get away with just replacement rings or if you need to bore it out. If just rings are needed, cost should be around $200 if you do most of the work yourself. If you need to bore it, that will raise the cost about $150 to $200. You won't know what you need to do until it comes apart and you can check the parts for wear. In the mean time, you could acquire some of the items you'll need like the cam chain, gasket set, and front guide.

You can't buy a new front guide from Yamaha anymore, they quit making them. Don't get the repop from Mike's, there have been issues reported on it. I think Hoos Racing is the new best source. He had a new production run made and they are good. Best source for a cam chain is directly from Yamaha. This is a Tsubaki chain which is supposed to be slightly better (stronger) than the original D.I.D. The couple I bought so far have been split and included a master link .....

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/94500-02106-00/chain

For a gasket set, if you're not in a hurry I'd start watching eBay, maybe you'll run across a good deal. Many of us have used the Athena set in the past and for the most part, it's OK. But, it's head gasket is actually a bit thicker than the original so will lower compression slightly, and that may lose you a bit of power. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference. But, there's another possible issue with it - my Athena head gasket has started leaking. Granted, it took like 10 years to happen, but it did. And now, the Athena gasket on my buddy's has sprung a leak as well. So, in the future, I will try another brand like maybe Vesrah.

Thanks Marty,

Regarding the diaphragm assemblies at CruzinImage.net. I almost bought a couple of them because of:
1) Your recommendation.
2) The reasonable price.
But reading the few details they do give, and after reading their return policy, I thought I would ask you this: Please tell me what is your level of certainty Part 3F7-14940-00 would be the exact correct replacement part for my bike?

It's hard for me to trust some websites. I can't even trust the exploded diagrams on the Yamaha website to actually be the correct diagram for the model or year they say they are. As an example, for the 1978 XS650SE they show a Mikuni BS34/3G1-00 diagram. But my 1978 Yamaha Service Manual XS650E with XS650SE supplemental, 2nd Edition, clearly says the carbs are Mikuni BS38/2F0-00 in both sections. At some point one could become confused. But when I'm feeling desperate enough I will bet the cost and roll the dice in hopes I get lucky and receive the correct part.

The Cruzin Image website is nearly devoid of details for some of the products they offer. But they are quite specific about model years and part numbers. In this case they show the fit models as 80-83 XS650 and part number 3F7-14940-00. While my 78 SE diaphragm assembly part number is 2F0-14940-00-00. That's not very encouraging. The picture they show offers little encouragement either. If they would show clearly the top and bottom of the object where the different shapes and holes are that would help. The only interesting thing about all this is that the Yamaha website lists 2F0-14940-00-00 for years 1978-1980, and 3H5-14940-00 for years 1981-1983. I only looked at the Specials, SE through SJ but I didn't find Part 3F7-14940-00 at all. So that's why I asked the question. And with all your experience with all the XS650's in your stable you are one I should ask!

Thanks again,
R.

Marty,
When I read your reply, JBM Industries rang a bell. So I went to the garage and looked through my parts. Sure enough, that was where I bought the diaphragms that I described as like "large rubber rings" in my post. The ones I didn't use yet. So I still have them, and upon inspection they still look and feel like new. I didn't find an invoice, just the shipping envelope, but that must've been close to 15 years ago. I think maybe customers had to call him on the telephone in those days to place an order. Or maybe his website wasn't working. But I do remember calling and speaking with him for whatever the reason.. He told me all about how he makes these things on a big rubber molding machine in his basement and everything like that.. And the reason why he happened to make the mold for the Yamaha 650 part I wanted. How it's done and so forth. Very interesting, and a very nice gentleman. I remember telling him not to ever die, because it would be tragic to the many people who benefit from and appreciate what only he does.

R.

Aha. Well that's good to know. And good I was hesitant. It's not always the case my chronic indecision is helpful to me. I'm glad to find out about the CruzinImage website. I should do as they suggest and browse it from time to time. When the availability window closes on some of this stuff God may not always open a door somewhere else.

Thanks,
R.

Yes... but you might want to start your own thread and return this one to it's normal programming.

Hi,
I had made note of 5twins post, and saved the picture. Good to know it's a tried and recommended solution; however, and recalling all I intended to do at the outset was replace the spark plugs, I first took Marty's NAPA suggestion.
I ordered six plugs, the max NAPA online would allow with store pickup. After a week I called the store. They had gathered five plugs, but they would would have to get the sixth plug from Sacramento, and it would be a BPR7ES. I cancelled that one and picked up my five beautiful new NGK BP7ES plugs. Two are in yellow boxes with BP7ES, and USA, but no #1034 printed on them. Three are in the (I think newer) grey boxes which do say #1034. To me, the yellow boxed plugs appear to be higher quality. Nonetheless perfect condition all, not even a scratch on the boxes. I also got a spark plug socket thread chaser with some of the money I saved from no E-bay.
In the meantime, while waiting for NAPA, I picked up my previously ordered, from O'Reilly, the only Champion N7Y plugs I could find locally. You know, the other spark plug recommended in the Yamaha manual, that I've not seen mentioned by anyone here. Actually, they're Champion N7YC (superseded). "The C means they're made of copper," I was told. What were the plain old N7Y made of? I inquired. "Who knows." Was the answer. When buying parts, "These should work" are words that make me cringe. Anyway, the Champions look like they've been kicking around for a long time. Worn, crumpled boxes that can barely stay closed. No little plastic (or even the cheap cardboard such as NGK uses now) cylindrical things protecting the threads and electrodes. And missing the adapters that screw on the terminal studs. Such as they are, now I have two of those too. Probably a lifetime supply of plugs (my lifetime, if not the bike's). As well as the four Partszilla BPR7ES #5534 plugs I can transition to with the LZFH non-resistor caps as you suggest. Speaking of those; and note I'm still running with the original coils, and I believe, OEM wires. Did the XS650 originally come with non-resistor caps? If so then, should I replace the existing NGK LB05F 5KΩ caps with NGK LZFH caps regardless of which plugs?

Thanks for your attention,
R.

@rgknott........Start your own thread. You have a lot of things to sort out, going by your involved posts, and your hijacking someone else's ongoing thread.

Could re-post all your questions in a thread and delete them from here.

No dramas, you a newbie. It is also confusing if the OP asks a question similar to one you ask and some one gives an answer to you but the OP thinks it for him. Thats when things can go wrong that could potentially cause damage or money, if it involved part buying

Back