1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

Looks good. Keep the pics coming!

I finally got around to upgrading the lighting in my garage a couple of years ago. Similar to yours but hardwired. Should have done that a long time ago!

How much trouble you think it might be getting it titled? What kind of tank is that? Do those frames come with brake stabilizer bar tabs? Kickstand mounting tabs?

jefft

I already spoke with my DMV regarding the title process. Might be a little hassle, but definitely sounds doable. That's just the stock tank I threw on there to see how it would look. I'll be using a different tank. There aren't specific tabs to be used as a brake stabilizer, but there are a couple of spots on the drop outs that should work fairly easily. No kickstand mounting tabs, but there are kits that have a weld on tab.

Kent

Lookin good. I puttered around a bit myself today. Fabbed up a plate holder and am working on mounting the fender.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 369
Can you describe how you chamfered that push rod hole, what tool was used etc. Do you plan on running some of them old style Firestone tires. I had considered just buying a frame like that myself. I wish I could just get a title for a frame but they won't even look at it until its a complete bike. I am just a little leery about spending the kind of money and effort it would take to get it up and running and then and only then I have to take the thing down to DMV (where I'm sure they will be looking at pipes and such) and hope they will now title my considerable investment. But then again it may not be that hard either. I guess your sort of at their mercy and the degree of difficulty probably differs from state to state. What do you plan on titling it as?
jefft

For the clutch seal, I just used a fresh blade in a utility knife, and went around several passes lightly. The left side is a little harder to get to with the blade in the knife, so I pulled the blade out of the knife for the left side.

If the bike were for me, I'd probably put on some replica tires, but as it's primarily for my wife, I'll most likely use the Pirelli Route 66 tire. I've used them on my V-Star for some time now and been very happy with them so far.

DMV here won't look at it until it's a fully running bike either. Pass the inspection, and they'll stamp a VIN into the neck. I'll then disassemble and send the frame and misc parts off for powder coat, clean up the engine some, do a little polishing, etc. They title it as a custom vehicle, but I'm not sure on what exactly will go on the title.

Kent

Thanks for the info. Hope you take pics and detail of the wiring procedure, I sure could use the knowledge in that area.
jefft

Cleaned up the exterior of the carbs a bit. Rejetting and total internal cleaning will come later. Keep soaking the upper 8 (diaphragm) and lower 8 (bowl) screws as they are still the old Philips head screws. As soon as they are out, new stainless allen cap screws will go in. Mounted up the new pod filters and breather filter.

SDC12050.jpg

SDC12052.jpg

Kent

Thank you, and if you have any pipe suggestions for this frame, I'd love to hear/see them. I like your drag pipes, but I'm wondering if the radius in your Curved Drag pipes would look good with the curved front down tube. See any reason why they wouldn't work with this frame? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kent

Not much done this weekend. I did get my battery box and electrics box combo in from TC Bros as well as a folding kickstand and the Biltwell seat hinge. Cut down the stock foot peg mounts.

SDC12082.jpg

SDC12083.jpg

And cleaned up some of the carb brackets and replaced the crappy philips head screws.

SDC12081.jpg

Kent

I like your work and that the wife is interested. Keep us posted. Those are japanese industrial standard screw not philips I'll bet. Not quite our philips. I've had to order some JIS bits. Otherwise I'm buggering all of them up. :doh:

I guess I never realized it was a different screw, but you're right. I hit them with PB Blaster repeatedly as they were quite rusted. I used a new Vermont American Ice bit that has grip lines in the tip of the bit. Put that in a 1/4" ratchet to get some leverage and pressure. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the compliments!

Kent

Back