1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

Not sure I know what you're asking...but I think you're referring to the stock chain tensioners? Different method for tensioning the chain on this frame.

XS650BikeShoot3-6-2010069.jpg

Kent

Last edited:
I having been following this closely too. I have been looking at that Mr. Lucky website and seen that you can buy a lot more componets if desired. I didn't care for the 2 bikes they had on their website with ape hangers and such but that was just to feature their new frame. I think that frame can be had with a Harley front end or stock Yamaha. I have been pondering whether to buy one of those frames and just can't seem to decide what to do yet. You could just send your neck to Ardcore and they can build a frame but now your looking a even more expensive frame but no DMV hassle. I think the DMV could give a guy some real hassle on the type of pipes we would run on such a bike. I am still hesitant about the DMV with a new frame for these type reasons. My bike is already titled so thats a headache I wouldn't have to deal with. I acquired another frame recently for next to nothing but it has no title, no bill of sale, no nothing except I did run it down to the local cop shop and the numbers came back clean. What do you do with a frame like that? I don't know where to begin getting that thing titled.
Jefft

Last edited:
The Mr. Lucky's frames were $200 cheaper when I bought mine as a "Summer Special". They sell different neck cups depending on if you want to use a stock front end or a Harley front end. They are also supposed to include rear axle spacers depending on the rear wheel, but as you can see above, I still needed to have spacers made.

I've made some calls to the DMV, and it sounds like the whole process may be a bit cumbersome, but it's not like it's my only bike, so I still have something to ride while the process is being worked out. That may be the most difficult part of the whole process. Illinois processes the vehicle through their Custom Vehicle program.

Kent

I insulated the garage this year and so far it's making a major difference. Last year I was running a 35,000 BTU heater for ~15 minutes at a time to take the chill off. Now I just run a small electric heater and work in a sweatshirt. Not a pretty game tonight, but the Bears are holding them back.

Kent

I know what yall mean, its been in the low 60's/high 50's at night and high 70's during the day here. Just kidding, I cant imagine what your temps are like...guess thats why I stay down here. But I do envy yall in the summer, nothing like a humid Houston summer to make your balls stick to your leg.

Little off the subject but its sad to find some of these old 650's without a title. I got one spotted right now for $300.00 and its all there. You can get a title through one of the companies like Broadway Title in Alabama but its $375.00 plus the hassle. That smoking deal quickly runs in to a little more $$$. You also have to find a certified mechanic who will certify that its mechanically sound and it has to have all the lights including signals to pass the inspection they require. There is about 8 states they listed that won't except this title and some of them they listed include California and Illinois.
jefft

Last edited:
Little off the subject but its sad to find some of these old 650's without a title. I got one spotted right now for $300.00 and its all there. You can get a title through one of the companies like Broadway Title in Alabama but its $375.00 plus the hassle. That smoking deal quickly runs in to a little more $$$. You also have to find a certified mechanic who will certify that its mechanically sound and it has to have all the lights including signals to pass the inspection they require. There is about 8 states they listed that won't except this title and some of them they listed include California and Illinois.
jefft

I bought a Gixxer off of eBay a few years back and the guy who sold it said it had a salvage title, which ended up being a Florida Certificate of Destruction meaning that it was supposed to have been sold for parts but not as a title-able bike. Long story short, I was able to get a bonded title and that did not involve any form of inspection. Just 600 bucks of my hard earned money:mad: I am sure you can find a way to get it done....otherwise let me know where its at and I will snag it:D

I've decided that I'm tired of not knowing how to weld. I convinced my Dad to sell me his Mig welder, a Craftsman 20569 110V that is gas ready but not equipped with it yet. So, for now I'm running flux core. I did a quick setup and ran a couple of test beads and tack welds. I called up my neighbor who was a pipefitter at one time and was stick certified. He came over and started challenging me. He started with me tacking both ends of these two pieces of angle iron, then filling the gap. Here's my result:

SDC12138.jpg

He then laid a bead on a big piece of pipe and told me to duplicate it. Mine is on the left, his is on the right.

SDC12140.jpg

I've got a lot of learning to do, but I'm looking forward to it. I just need to find a good source where I can get some steel scrap to practice on.

Kent

We had the "learning to weld" discussion this evening next door. Neighbor pulled the exhaust off of his Street Glide HD and cut the 2-1 pipe in two to remove the catalytic converter guts. Then our buddy welded it up. After some discussion and a look at one of the local community college class listings on the computer it seems they have a "Welding for Hobbyists 1 & 2" class for about $269 per. Also one guy mentioned getting scrap from the local auto salvage yard for free to practice on.

Or really hot! I'm looking forward to learning and practicing.

Kent

The good thing about welding is that if you have a shaky hand it actually helps:D
Just gotta keep your speed constant and watch the width of your weld. Keep the puddle width consistent and they will start looking like proper welds in no time.:thumbsup:

Back