1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

Garage bike or show queen, doesn't really matter. When something is done just straight out wrong, it's wrong. Whoever did that is a fucking idiot. I'd ask for my money back. I suppose you can always fill it, but talk about a half-assed way of doing things.

Incidentally, it looks like there's at least one hole blown through on the weld on that left mounting tab.

LOL point taken. And they're visible in the pic. Weird. It's just an odd way of doing it when putting them on the inside would have been just as easy.

The only other thing I can think of is that they were trying to maintain tunnel width. All things I get to learn along the way on my wife's bike so I'll know better when I do my own bike the next time around. :D

Kent

Danielle trying out the new seat and bars.

SDC12233.jpg

SDC12237.jpg

SDC12242.jpg

Kent

Havent been on the board in awhile. Just got in from working on the yami (its been awhile also) Nice to see your build is coming along. Looks like your wife is happy too! Happy wife happy life they say?!?

Kent, Im loving the build! Not to gouge into you on the seat, just make sure when you mount it that you take into consideration the passenger weight so when the wifey sits on it, it doesn't have negative angle towards the tire due to spring compression. And I love Gordons pipes on that, would look cool with them with a huge slash cut on the ends, and the small details like the drilled header flange will really set the bike off. I would also recommend drilling some holes in the pipes for baffles, just put them in the back where no one will ever see them, but if Johny Law says you need baffles, no modding after final assembly and paint. Custom Chrome of Drag Spec have some decent baffles that are short and will fit the radius.

Kent, Im loving the build! Not to gouge into you on the seat, just make sure when you mount it that you take into consideration the passenger weight so when the wifey sits on it, it doesn't have negative angle towards the tire due to spring compression. And I love Gordons pipes on that, would look cool with them with a huge slash cut on the ends, and the small details like the drilled header flange will really set the bike off. I would also recommend drilling some holes in the pipes for baffles, just put them in the back where no one will ever see them, but if Johny Law says you need baffles, no modding after final assembly and paint. Custom Chrome of Drag Spec have some decent baffles that are short and will fit the radius.

Thanks for the comments and compliments! I'll be messing around with the seat mounting and springs to be sure it keeps her F/R neutral. I contemplated a slash cut, but the wife was leaning more to a straight cut. I'm still looking for the best way to finish off the pipes. I'm sure I'll come up with something. I was actually just out tinkering around with some small baffles I got for the pipes, so it's funny you mentioned that. Thanks for following along!

Kent

That's what I figured. I'll give you an idea. My pipes are similar to yours. I made brackets on the inside that go to the rear engine mounts.You can't even see them, but they're under the air filters, going to the inside of the pipe.

Attachments

• rsz-tank.jpg
    rsz-tank.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 391
  • resized elec box.jpg
    resized elec box.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 428
Hi Kent, Glad you like the pipes :) For others reading this Kent and I discussed mounting options and one of them was just like yours Tech :thumbsup: Also I left the ends strait cut for Kent but can do slash up or down or even turnouts for anyone who wants it. Kent was thinking of putting brass tips on these when we started talking about making this set of pipes, are you still thinking of doing that?

Back