1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

I'm agree with your wife on the pipes. The pipes will look great just as they are. I'm anxious to see where you mount your rear master cylinder. Is the frame already drilled to accept it?
jefft

That's what I figured. I'll give you an idea. My pipes are similar to yours. I made brackets on the inside that go to the rear engine mounts.You can't even see them, but they're under the air filters, going to the inside of the pipe.

That's one idea I've been tossing around. Thanks for the hi res photos!

Kent

Hi Kent, Glad you like the pipes :) For others reading this Kent and I discussed mounting options and one of them was just like yours Tech :thumbsup: Also I left the ends strait cut for Kent but can do slash up or down or even turnouts for anyone who wants it. Kent was thinking of putting brass tips on these when we started talking about making this set of pipes, are you still thinking of doing that?

Yes, still thinking of brass tips, though I'm sure my wife would rather have them in chrome. We'll see who wins the fight on that one. ;) I did spend a bit of time this morning working on some baffles for the pipes. I'm still fighting a cold, but I'm getting stir crazy in the house. I found these baffle really cheap on eBay. They were made for 1.5" pipes, but they wouldn't quite slide in, I'm suspecting due to the slight oval shape the pipe end has after being run through the bender. No problem. Just cut off the expanded end, and drill a new hole in the baffle. Here's the stock baffle.

SDC12257.jpg

Stock next to cut off baffle:

SDC12259.jpg

And mounted in the pipe. I'll clean it up later with some better looking hardware.

SDC12266.jpg

SDC12265.jpg

Kent

Last edited:
I'm agree with your wife on the pipes. The pipes will look great just as they are. I'm anxious to see where you mount your rear master cylinder. Is the frame already drilled to accept it? jefft

Thanks! I'll need to weld some mounts on for the rear master cylinder. Of course, I'll need to buy the master cylinder first! :laugh:

Kent

Thanks i been working the bike for a few months...The white was cool at first..but it is changin color over time..i want black tape...but the tape i see online always looks like a dark grey...you think the black paint will stay black longer than the tape?

The black tape I did on my V-Star looked dark gray as well. The silicone spray is supposed to turn it black and seal and protect the wrap as well. You can also do annual touch ups if need be. Then again, some people love that vintage patina that your wrap is taking on.

Kent

Not yet, but there will be. I'm still weighing out a few ideas on that.

Kent

Thats the same pipes I have on my xs. For mounting them bought some pipe hangers I think they were called. It's like a hose clamp but has a rubber boot over it and a tab that hangs down. You can clamp these around the frame near the end of the exhaust pipe and use the tab to bolt to the piece that GS sent you with the pipes. It's a very nice clean way to mount them.

yeah...maybe i am just tired of looking at them, the two colors do nothing for me....i did the pipes a while ago and now i see more of them around...they sound really loud... a local guy made them up for $250.... i'll try the paint soon...

Thats the same pipes I have on my xs. For mounting them bought some pipe hangers I think they were called. It's like a hose clamp but has a rubber boot over it and a tab that hangs down. You can clamp these around the frame near the end of the exhaust pipe and use the tab to bolt to the piece that GS sent you with the pipes. It's a very nice clean way to mount them.

That was my initial thought as well, but on this frame, the exhaust ends up with some distance between the rear frame tubes. It kinda breaks up the curve of the pipe, and I'm not really digging that. I'll probably put a mount nearer to the center of the bike, running either off an engine cover bolt, or to the rear engine mount.

Kent

Why are you using baffles? No way I would do that. These pipes have the best sound of any xs I have ever heard. Don't mess with perfection unless the missis is tring to quiet it way down.

yeah...maybe i am just tired of looking at them, the two colors do nothing for me....i did the pipes a while ago and now i see more of them around...they sound really loud... a local guy made them up for $250.... i'll try the paint soon...

It would certainly be cheaper and faster than re-wrapping them. Let me know how it works out for ya!

Kent

Not yet, but there will be. I'm still weighing out a few ideas on that.

Kent

That was my initial thought as well, but on this frame, the exhaust ends up with some distance between the rear frame tubes. It kinda breaks up the curve of the pipe, and I'm not really digging that. I'll probably put a mount nearer to the center of the bike, running either off an engine cover bolt, or to the rear engine mount.

Kent

Oh ya I see it now. Ya that wouldn't work for you. On my tc hardtail the pipe ends about a inch below the frame so it works great

Why are you using baffles? No way I would do that. These pipes have the best sound of any xs I have ever heard. Don't mess with perfection unless the missis is tring to quiet it way down.

I'm sure they sound great, and I've heard some sound clips of his regular drag pipes. I did it for two reasons. One, to quiet it down a bit for the wife. The second is that I will need to go through an inspection process when I get this bike titled, and I'd like to keep the noise off their nit pick list. Easier to put them in now and pull them out later than to have to put them in after I've had them coated or wrapped. Believe me, I'm dying to hear how these pipes will sound! :D

Kent

Back