1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

I've been recovering from Christmas but I did get a few parts in. If the bike were for me, I'd probably go with hand signals and really scale back all the switch gear. Since it's not, I tried my best to find something that would pack most everything she would need onto one switch box. This came from K&S. Also new clutch perch and lever.

SDC12724.jpg

New front master cylinder to match the clutch. This switch box will be going away as I have a new universal throttle assembly coming.

SDC12725.jpg

New rear master cylinder also came from MikesXS. I welded a couple of tabs from Lowbrow onto the frame to support this. My welds still aren't pretty, but they'll do. Used the original rear brake pivot and plunger. I bent the plunger rod and trimmed it down.

SDC12728.jpg

SDC12716.jpg

I also finished up the foot peg mounts before the holidays.

SDC12718.jpg

SDC12720.jpg

SDC12729.jpg

Kent

Looking good. That brake pedal is really close to the peg though. Your wife must have small feet :D

Thanks! It actually doesn't feel too bad. Even for my size 14 feet. I'm sure it will be even better for her. I'm more concerned about the shift peg, which is a bit far away. I'm thinking I may have to take a section out of the shifter and shorten it up.

Kent

Ah.. who needs rear brakes anyway when you got the front?

How far out it is the shift lever? I find that about 5" from center to center is usually about right.

On your rear brake, I might move the pedal pivot forward so the pivot is about over the rear footpeg mount bolt.
On the shifter, a bit longer makes it easier to shift. Mostly when your trying to find neutral.
I have Mike's longer shifter pedal on mine. I have to slide my foot forward a bit, my heel on the peg, not my instep, while I shift. The increase in leverage with the longer pedal it takes less effort to shift.

On your rear brake, I might move the pedal pivot forward so the pivot is about over the rear footpeg mount bolt.
On the shifter, a bit longer makes it easier to shift. Mostly when your trying to find neutral.
I have Mike's longer shifter pedal on mine. I have to slide my foot forward a bit, my heel on the peg, not my instep, while I shift. The increase in leverage with the longer pedal it takes less effort to shift.

The brake doesn't feel too bad. Could be a touch longer for my size 14 foot, but I think it will be fine for my wife. I bought a shorter shift lever off eBay. We'll see if that make enough difference. With the shifter where it is now, I almost have to have my heel on the footpeg to be able to shift properly.

Kent

I shortened my shift lever. If you think its hard find netural just wait til you get that puppy on there!

Posted via Mobile

I shortened my shift lever. If you think its hard find netural just wait til you get that puppy on there!

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm going to try this cheap lever off eBay. Worst case scenario, I can cut down the stocker, but it's a little rough around the edges already.

Kent

316786451_o.jpg

Hows it going man, I just read this whole build and I must say it is coming out awesome! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've done a few little things, but no new photos. Waiting on fender and a few other parts. Still recovering from Christmas a bit, but it will get there. Thanks!

Kent

Been waiting on parts and money mostly. I was actually out working on the V-Star and just wrapping up when the FedEx truck pulled up. I just had to do a little mock-up. Fender is from 7 Metal West.

Kent

SDC12815.jpg

After sitting all winter long, I decided to make a real effort to see if the engine would fire up again now that it's in the new frame. After some wiring screw-ups and being set straight by DADDYGCYCLES and Nooovie (thanks, guys!) she fired back up on the first kick! The wiring is a mess, but I'll be moving to a Pamco and new coil once they are back in stock. I also still need to clean/rebuild/rejet the carbs, but it's a good sign! :D

Kent

Back