1980 bobber build pics - show bike???

Wow, what a great looking machine. I'm chomping at the bit to get my first project underway. Looks to me (being a rookie) that a lot of the parts are new. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ballpark figure did the whole project set you back? Around central Florida where I'm from I have my pick of buying rundown bikes that haven't run in years or bikes that have been used as daily drivers and some where a project has been started but not finished. I'm not sure which route to take. I've seen prices from a few hundred bucks up to a truly good looking and running bike for $5k. I'm just feeling out options and seeing where I should start. Thanks.

I don,t have a final $$ figure spent yet, but yes practically everything on this is new except the engine block... So probably in the 4-5K range in parts, but I did some optional things like the front end, front brakes, wheel's, engine internals, and new 34mm carbs. Stock stuff would have been cheeper but not the way i wanted to go.
So I'm sure there are shortcuts out there if you prefer to go that route...
But if your going to end up replacing everything on the bike anyway just get a good frame and engine that is solid, and go from there.
:wink2:

Ha that's funny, I used an ammo box for my battery and electrics. I guess I wasn't original after all. I have seen many pics of bikes and haven't seen one use it, so thats why I went with it......guess not

Damn.. nice paint work on both bikes. What media did you use to blast the engine to get it so damn clean?

Damn.. nice paint work on both bikes. What media did you use to blast the engine to get it so damn clean?

thanks...

Just lots of patience.... de-greaser, paint remover, and a wire wheel on the end of a drill.
Oh, but i should say that the final result is a painted engine as well.

Last edited:
Very nice work, man. Its good to see something beside flames, dragons and skulls. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :)

Does that pipe drag in a right sweeper?

Welcome to the forum.

thanks...

Just lots of patience.... de-greaser, paint remover, and a wire wheel on the end of a drill.
Oh, but i should say that the final result is a painted engine as well.

Wow, I could have sworn that was at least soda blasted. You definitely have patience.

Very nice work, man. Its good to see something beside flames, dragons and skulls. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :)

Does that pipe drag in a right sweeper?

Welcome to the forum.

The bike is not 100% done in these pics, I'm working on getting it tucked up under the frame more. (been too busy on the other xs build)

Some pics from today. Finally got some miles on the bike, running great.... new billet side cover, and bar-end mirror too.
wall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

wall3.jpg

wall4.jpg

wall5.jpg

wall6.jpg

wall7.jpg

wall8.jpg

On your seat did you make the bracket thats holding it on? Im curious as to how its held in the middle

Yes i had to make the bracket that attaches to the seat. There are some pics in the first page that may be clear enough. Also there has to be long tabs welded to the frame backbone to support the other end of the shock. Also can be seen on the primer frame pic.

Are you kidding me? Talk about setting the bar high for initial posts. Lol. Nice chop.

hey bobber what dad you do to clean your engine up like that?? or is it painted or powder coated?? ive tried several diff things to try to clean my cases but nothin really works

Back