1980 XS Rear Wheel Help

BareKnuckles

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to here but have read through and am thoroughly impressed by the willingness to help I've seen with XS guys. Here's my problem... I am building my first XS and I had some "help" tearing down. I have no idea how to put the wheels back together and all I can find is grainy microfiche pics. I believe I have all the parts and have new All Balls bearing kits front and rear. Anything would help. Thanks.

I hope you didn't throw away the left bearing with the spacer still in it, lol.

Check the old left bearing. The top hat spacer (#20 below) is probably still stuck in it. It needs to be removed and installed in your new bearing or the axle and center spacer (#7) will be too loose. So many guys throw these spacers out with their old bearings that a cottage industry has sprung up reproducing them (since Yamaha no longer sells them) .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

That is a great diagram. #20 is what is missing, it isn't stuck in the bearing. I did find a guy who has an entire wheel assembly for $50 though so I'll probably do that if anyone wants a wheel in great shape with a new tire minus the guts.

650 central sells the top hat for $26. Under chassis, scroll to the bottom.
Will be cheaper than a whole wheel.
Leo

Back