1981 XS650 SH Restoration

If that bad girl runs as good as she looks you'll be a happy camper.
I sure hope so. I'm going all in on this restoration.

You’re doing nice work. I’m enjoying following along. For keeping parts in order, I found inexpensive food storage containers from Walmart or anywhere really, worked exceptionally well for staying organized.
View attachment 136186

Oh and zip lock storage bags, sandwich size, and gallon sized.

I saw that on your thread. I actually had everything sorted and stored in smaller bins and bags. After a few moves, all of dumped out and now I'm working from a huge pile of parts. My carbs were not assembled when I got the bike so I have to sort those out and try to assemble them as well. This bike was a littoral basket case. Or box case as it were.

Please excuse my spelling....skool was not my strong suit.

Does anyone have a source for these connectors? I need to replace them.

20190306_173934.jpg

Mike's has the reg/rec one, both sides plus lugs. I bought it and it was good. I think he carries the other one too. Careful to not shorten the wires there any more than necessary, barely long enough as is.

Mike's has the reg/rec one, both sides plus lugs. I bought it and it was good. I think he carries the other one too. Careful to not shorten the wires there any more than necessary, barely long enough as is.

I'll take a look at Mikes. For some reason vintage connections will not let me checkout. I figured out how the release the spades from connectors, so i should be able to just push them into new connectors. If not, I will heed your advice and cut them as close to end as possible.

I figured out how the release the spades from connectors, so i should be able to just push them into new connectors.

I'm sure you already did but make sure you have a sketch of which wire goes where! And if not trying to reuse the housings a gentle wack in the right place can help with the disassembly process!

I'm sure you already did but make sure you have a sketch of which wire goes where! And if not trying to reuse the housings a gentle wack in the right place can help with the disassembly process!

I did make up a sketch of wire colors and position. I have a new wiring harness from Mikes that I purchased a few years back, so I only need to replace the connectors on that plug into the new harness. Those connectors just crumble in my hands. Now that i know how to release the spades, the others will get the persuader treatment to get them all out at once! I may do them all just for peace of mind. I do have to run some searches to see how to test everything to make sure they are still good. I'd hate to spend any time and money on them just find out that they are bad.

Not sure if he is still around or doing it but there was a guy on the forum who was repairing those TCI boxes, the plastic box in the back of your picture. Seems there were a couple common solder joint failures he knew about and could repair them.

Guy was rickthefix, you could try sending him a private message.

If there is a problem with yours I should have a used one but not sure how to test them.

Seems there are two different versions, one with six and the other with seven wires, think the seventh wire is for a sidestand switch on newer models, anyone know for sure?

I read a thread along those lines, of repairing. Possibly the same guy you mentioned. It was about replacing three diodes on the circuit board or something of that nature. I don't recall reading about how to test it, though it may have been in there. I'll search for the thread this evening and pop the hood on my TCI box just to have a look see. I have a digital ohm meter but have no idea as to how to use it. Electrical is not my forte, but I'm looking forward to learning.

Only way I know of to test the TCI box is to plug it into bike and run it.

If you've depressed the lock tabs on the spades to get them out of the housings, make sure you bend them back out a little so they lock back in the new housings.

9juXLtL.jpg

I just checked. I sure did bend the lock tabs. Right flush too. Thanks for the heads up. I will get them looking like the picture. Here is my TCI box opened up. It looks good to my untrained eye. I don't notice anything burnt or suspicious. Ignore the dead moth. No idea how he even got in there!

20190307_171858.jpg
20190307_171928.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sets-4-pin-2-8mm-Connector-Terminals-Electric-Male-to-Female-Socket-Plugs/371585763035?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=94f8305d0e534ff88b44f50c8663e28e&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=371585763035&itm=371585763035&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I've bought connectors and blocks from this seller on ebay. Hong Kong slow boat. The blocks are compatible with Yamaha and others, the connectors are interchangeable. The female flats are different, they make contact at a different area and are easier to clean and tighten at the point of contact, still, mix and match with the originals. The bullet connectors are thinner metal, flimsier, but still usable.

Scott

Back