1983 Honda V45 Interceptor

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, I spotted this Honda by the road for sale, and couldnt get the attention of the owner. "Very Rare" he says on sign for $2800. I'm a Yamaha guy, but this bike is interesting. 16,000K

Any opinions?

013.JPG

Doesn't look bad....but those were fairly common when new so the price seems a bit high.

Didn't those early Honda V4 engines have wear problems in the cylinder head / camshaft area?

Doesn't look bad....but those were fairly common when new so the price seems a bit high.

Didn't those early Honda V4 engines have wear problems in the cylinder head / camshaft area?
yup, thats what I'm reading. This is a racing bike, with Kerker racing exhaust. I just got off the phone with him, nice guy, but he didnt mention the camshaft wear issue. Apparently, there was too much clearance in the camshaft bearings. I imagine that this engine needs much top end work at this point.

I had one of those but a 500cc not the 45 ( 900cc) and you could not ask for a better handling machine.....
the problem is the riders position...very uncomfortable ! it took allot of tinkering to get it acceptable for longer rides
it was smooth and powerful and could corner better than anything else I had ever ridden , even an old triumph !
( well maybe) .... I never had any trouble with mine , but then I only had it for about 1.5 years and sold it to get rid of the monthly payments.
Bob.......

Like Bob says, great handling bikes. Quiet, smooth and fast. The riding position is not all that bad but definitely not upright.
I had one for awhile but grew tired of working on it. Parts are difficult to source and those carbs! What a PITA to get on and off!. Mine was an '86 VF500 which I sold for what I had in it $1,300.
I would advice against unless you are a fan of those bikes.

Thanks for the
Like Bob says, great handling bikes. Quiet, smooth and fast. The riding position is not all that bad but definitely not upright.
I had one for awhile but grew tired of working on it. Parts are difficult to source and those carbs! What a PITA to get on and off!. Mine was an '86 VF500 which I sold for what I had in it $1,300.
in
Thanks for the info.
My interest is fading, the more I read from you and on the web.
Curious, one article stated that Honda may have rushed the development and production in anticipation of the FJ1100 being released, soon.
In 1990, that ('84 FJ) is exactly what I bought, and was thrilled with it. It was customized, ported, polished, Kerker exhaust, K&N stage 3, & bumped up to 1200.
I can almost feel the acceleration as I sit here at my PC. Sold it cuz it developed that 2nd gear issue. Massive job to fix it. But I got $1K for it, anyway.

FJ1200.jpg

Wow - smart looking FJ Dude!

On the Honda, they truly are one of the premier engine companies in the world but I think that sometimes, they spread the,selves too thin. Their first gen v4s were quite a bit of trouble and mainly for dumb reasons like inadequate top-end lubrication. It's easy to anticipate that and usually it shows up in durability tests that every company does on new engine designs. I know they got their v4s right eventually because the basic configuration is in my 2007 ST1300 and those things live forever.

Anyhow - life's too short and there are too many nice old XSs around to spend time on a bike that will be troublesome.

Cheers,

Pete

The V4 motors in the Magna's and saber's had cam issues, and it was a small number that really had any problems the interceptors had the issues taken care of just like the second gen Magna's. the Interceptor is a fast smooth bike and yes collectible. Honda first REAL sport bike. V 45 is a 750cc v 65 is 1100cc.

same here I loved my old interceptor never had a bit of trouble with it for the short time I owned it ...
but yah, Honda did some really stupid things with their cam bearings or LACK there of !!!!! they didn't even bother to put in babbit bearings !
who in the heck is responsible for that ???? I hope he was fired ! geez !
.....oooh well !
.....Bob........

...decisions like that comes out of the cost-police in big companies like Honda and the other OEMs. They'll climb all over their mothers to save 15 cents - even if the engineers advise against it.

Of all the OEMs - Honda is usually seen as the most engineer-driven and so it is relatively rare for Honda to muff something as badly as they muffed the V4 motorcycle cylinder heads - but it isn't unknown and the same goes for their cars. My sister has just won an argument with Honda on the AC unit in her CR-V small SUV - and that was crummy engineering as well. Normally, the engineers can come up with a work-around to stupid management decisions, but occasionally, those decisions come back around like a bad penny - and that's when recalls happen - and THAT ALWAYS costs more than if they had simply done it right in the first place.

I don't wish to touch off an argument, but from the data I have seen on cars over the last couple of decades, the reputation for Japanese invincibility is largely unjustified relative to NAM brands and all of them are better than any of the German brands. Just ask a VW-Audi/Porsche, M-B or Bimmer owner if they are having any electrical issues with their 4-7 year old car....and remember that the average age of a North American vehicle is around 10-11 years.

Anyhow, to conclude...if that bike has had the recall done - it could be a very nice buy at $2K. I'm not sure how you could tell - perhaps go on the Honda website or just call American Honda or speak to an old mechanic about how to find out. Quite often, they put some sort of external marking on "fixed" bikes to show dealers which ones had been done....

Back