1983 XS 650 Special Build

20190830_131813.jpg
Walking Back on the Service Stand.....

Means it started today!
Took a break from the "old" bikes and spent an hour or so on the '83 fiddling with the wiring and got the button to spin the starter motor so hooked up the test tank and it started and ran quite nicely with no smoke and the starter doesn't make that horrible noise. (very often)
Maybe this will be the first one with a for sale sign on it!

Laughing Minions.gif

After much work and angst over the winter and spring of 2016, Lucille was finally ready for a first start-up and at that very time, I was having yet another bad bout with my right knee. So I asked a strapping young buddy to come to the DCW and do the honours. He is a great chap, about 20 years younger than me (a former grad student who now works for Roush Industries - yes...THAT Roush) and he's very strong, but at the time, he was not a rider.

Anyhow, we popped her up on the centrestand, I turned on the fuel and set the enrichener lever (aka "choke"), gave him some tips on the finer points of kick-starting a bike and told him to have at it. After about 20 kicks, she burped, then one more and she started. Actually, she wound out to about 2500-3000 RPM and started to sashay across the concrete floor at a pretty fair clip!

He looked at me wide-eyed and yelled, "What the he!! do I do now?", to which I bellowed, "Keep it running and put the front brake on!".

Unfortunately, he had forgotten which was the brake and which was the clutch - but he soon figured it out. Not, however, before my darling Lucille had scraped her way at least 5-6 feet across the floor and had made a 90 degree pirouette.

It really was quite a scene and one which I sincerely wished I had video'd.

Last edited:
20191022_170331-1.jpg
Tank Badges Installed
(Thanks for the extra, Machine).
Thinking of saving my factory paint, maroon and black '83 tank for a stock '78 Special reassembly in the spring, so I stripped and painted this tank last week and reported same in the "What did you do...." thread.
The '83 build up is almost done, but looking at the lift off seat and the big alloy handle, anticipate that the buyer may have plans that include a Sawzall.
And that's all right with me.

20200131_171954.jpg 20200131_172223.jpg
20200131_172033.jpg
20200131_172020.jpg
'83 In The Sunset
Almost officially done, I had been advertising my '78 (see made for sale thread) and a caller wondered if I had one a bit more complete. So described this one to him and it perked his interest then got busy with some last minute things - like getting the front brake operational (by way of a new front master from Cndn Mikes) - I can reseal calipers just fine, but disassembling a stock master so it can be rebuilt is tough.
The fellow is supposed to come this weekend.....

Last edited:
Back