2 charging electrical questions

Next up test those readings by probing the wires at the stator or strip back the insulation through the sprocket area. Often by flexing the bundle you can tell where a broken wire is. (if that's the problem)

Fixed!!
You guys rock. I stripped back the insulation on the stator wires and repaired a couple spots that looked suspicious. Then I got ~10-11 ACV between any of white wires from the stator (sweet!). However, I still wasn't getting 13-14DCV across the battery with the bike running. I rewired my cheapo ebay rectifier (it didn't come with wiring instructions) and wham! 14-14.5 volts at the battery! So I created my own problem, but hey, I fixed it too.

Can't wait to ride to work tomorrow. :)

Fixed!!
You guys rock. I stripped back the insulation on the stator wires and repaired a couple spots that looked suspicious. Then I got ~10-11 ACV between any of white wires from the stator (sweet!). However, I still wasn't getting 13-14DCV across the battery with the bike running. I rewired my cheapo ebay rectifier (it didn't come with wiring instructions) and wham! 14-14.5 volts at the battery! So I created my own problem, but hey, I fixed it too.

Can't wait to ride to work tomorrow. :)

Well done:thumbsup:..................you stuck with the problem and came out victorious!

Good to hear you fixed it, Even more so that you came back and told us what you found.
On your Ebay rectifier. Is it one of the three phase rectifiers? The ones I have, have the wiring diagram right on the side of the body. The way they are set up , the three AC connections are down one side, the DC connections are on the other.
Leo

Hi Leo,

The rectifier looks pretty similar to this one, I think the positive terminal is marked but not the others. In my failure to research the correct wiring, I switched one stator wire and the ground. At least its a cheap fix :wink2:

Yes, its 3-phase.

Attachments

• 35amprectifierlabeled.jpg
    35amprectifierlabeled.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back