21" HD front with 1" axle... um, oops?

Thet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I jumped on these ( http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/2324101979.html ) because they're ridiculously cheap and I can probably sell the rear for what I payed for them both. But upon further inspection, the axles are both 1" diameter. Did I goof in the fact that I won't be able to make it fit into a springer front end? Most springers I've seen use a 3/4" axle... Do axle sizes really matter THAT much???

the harley is a heavier bike so it uses heavier bearings and axles, might be able to change the bearing out to 3/4 centers if you can find some with same O.D.

I think the best way to adapt a larger axle wheel to a smaller axle is to find or make up a bushing that fits inside the larger bearing. The OD is the larger wheel axle size and the ID is the bike axle size. The bushing should extend through the bearing at least a little to locate the internal spacer properly. McMaster Car has bushings that look like a top hat with a thin rim that would fit outside the bearing and extend through to locate the inner spacer. I don't know if they have the correct size you need.

In case it is not clear, the axle does not give the assembly strength. It is the axle that clamps the spacers and the inner bearing races in compression all the way across the forks. The axle is in tension and the spacers around it are in compression. An axle must be torqued tight before any fork clamps are secured.

Tom Graham

Ream the axle hole in the springer to 1 inch.
They used different sizes on different years of the same models. I think they did it just to make swapping wheel around harder.
In the J&P catalog they have a listing.
2000-03 Dyna use a 3/4" axle, 2004-07 Dyna has a 1" except the 2004-05 FXDWG
000-05 Dyna have a 3/4" rear axle, 2006-07 have a 1"axle
2000-05 FXDWG have 3/4" front and rear, 2006-07 have 1" axles
2000-07 Softails have3/4" axles except 07 it has a 25 mm front
2000-01FLT have 1" front, 3/4"rear2002-07FLT have 1" axles front and rear.
Don't make sense to me.
Leo

HD wheel bearing bore is 52mm / 2.04724" typically. Depth is (Memory Retrieval) 15mm. That's for 1.000", 0.98425"(25mm), or 0.750" ID bearings.

You'll need a different ID spacer tube, for the Axle OD you are running. Don't even run a 1.000" ID Spacer Tube with a 0.750" Axle unless you like solving mysteries later on.

Back