Just picked up 8 Bikes this weekend.

Tiny92

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've been lurking on here posting a little but mostly researching. I've been turning wrenches on my own 80 xs650 bobber project and have been able to ride it a bit.

While stuck in traffic on my bobber after the local July 4th fireworks I was stopped by a guy who said he knew someone looking to offload a bunch of yamaha parts having already completed his own bike. He gave me some contact info and off I went.

Well this weekend I was finally able to connect with this individual. Many thanks go out to Dusty who is now moving on to new projects. Honestly I can't wait to see his dually hotrod tearing up the streets of Maine.

Without further adue the list of new aquisitions includes:
1 74 tx750(motor seems sound and maybe a restoration or an oddball chop project)
1 honda frame (possibly honda 360) with an xs650 motor semi grafted into it
6 xs650's several different years
4 bins of parts
1 mono shock swingarm possibly yamaha.
2 HD 21" spoked rims one is a stock rim other is an aftermarket twisted spoke rim
a pair of kawasaki ninja rims with tires maybe fat tire chopper in my future
Sportster tank and a Fiberglass tank both need to be relined.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Big question I have is whats the simplest way to get one of these HD rims on the front of my bike?

I'm not sure on this Tiny but I think the HD wheel has bigger bearings. I thought about making a stepped axle where the small step goes into the clamp side,and boring out the fixed hole on the other leg. If you need any help, I have a lathe,we can try to cut a new axle. Enjoy all your new parts.

Well, after going down to the garage,and looking at my fork legs, I doubt that idea will work. There might be bearings that fit both ways that allow you to do this???

Yea titles are important. Wouldn't buy another one without one. I have a nice frame I pickup up for little of nothing but then I found out what a hassle it is to get a title so there it sets.
jefft

Hang on to that TX750. Yamaha only made it two years. The first year was a disaster, the second all the problems fixed. But the damage was done, Yamaha dropped it. So '74 is the year to have. I had one in my hands and sold it away.:banghead: Also had an XB1 pre compression release valve cover that I let get away. Made a deal same as you on a pile of bikes in a guys back yard. Was at a stop light on my XS650 when a guy on a Harley yelled at me, "hey I got some of those in my back yard, want to come and see them?" Made a deal for $200.00 on the spot, made $400.00 on the XB1 and TX. Regret getting rid of both now.

ok what I've found front HD rims have 3/4" axle (19.05mm) and the xs650 uses a 17mm axle so only bet would be to possibly turn down the ends of a HD axle to 17mm. I may hold off on that till this winter and just do a springer front end if I can find one for the right price.

The TX turns over and feels like it has good compression. going to start browsing around for parts. If it looks like I will be able to do a restoration without spending double what the bike is worth I may go that route, if not than I'll maybe go cafe racer with it.

2 titles in the deal those frames will most likely be stripped possibly hard tailed and then sold out of state. Maine doesn't require titles for bikes this old.

In fact 2 birds one stone... if someone has a springer front end and they need a titled frame I think we would be able to make a deal lol. May need to start researching with HD front end swap for the XS. :bike:

Are you trying to make one of eight. It will be awesome bike. Will it have the power of 8 bikes. Jointing some other bike's part will be difficult task. But I am sure you are capable of it. Go ahead and do your work with a lot of enthusiasm.

Back