30 Tooth Rear Sprocket Evaluation

If your doing mostly town riding the stock gearing is best. The 650 can run all day at 5500 no problem no need to really change. The 32 would be better than the 30.

Ok right on. Ya mostly in town. Just like to do 65 on the freeway for about 2 hours.

5,500 rpm should be around 65 70mph right?

If your doing mostly town riding the stock gearing is best. The 650 can run all day at 5500 no problem no need to really change. The 32 would be better than the 30.

You run your 650 at 5.5krpm all day long? I need to reevaluate my bike as I don't like 4k @ 65 mph (30t rear), it feels like it's screaming.

Thats what I have heard from other people as well.

Redline is 7,500 right?

If you can get it to rev that high I guess. I've heard that it's really 6k-ish and that feels about right on my bike, some people have stated that their bike revs to 12k and will cruise at 3k at 80mph yada yada, pinch of salt and all that.

At 100km/h with a 30t rear I do about 4k and that's what I feel comfortable with in 5th on the highway, in a full tuck and giving here I have pinned my '81 speedo but it wasn't fun and I apologised to my bike after.

Haha ya i hear they scream pretty good starting around 55mph.

I hear some people say they would not take their bike in stock condition over 55 miles an hour for a long period of time, & I hear other people say they ride freeway over 65 over long periods of time just fine.

I'm only 26 and can handle a little bit of vibration for a while, I just don't want to damage the engine in any way

Haha ya i hear they scream pretty good starting around 55mph.

I hear some people say they would not take their bike in stock condition over 55 miles an hour for a long period of time, & I hear other people say they ride freeway over 65 over long periods of time just fine.

I'm only 26 and can handle a little bit of vibration for a while, I just don't want to damage the engine in any way

Same, I'm 23. Longest I did was Toronto to Kingston which is about 250km which is 160 miles. I did 60 the entire way but being passed by 50' trucks wasn't confidence inspiring, neither was every second of the ride praying for your bike not to spontaneously combust. For short jounts no problem but I really like 80 km/h side roads. :bike:

Ya makes sence, I would keep it under 65mph and take my time...probably drop to a 32 or maybe a 30 rear sprocket...

Also there is a chance I have a larger.rear tire. Having my buddy check it tonight (still over seas for another 9 days)
But if so that would also help a bit I hear

Dimitri89;

The 7500 red line is just a marketing thing that Yamaha used to sell bikes to young males with too much testosterone (spelling ??). 6000 would be a much more appropriate red line for street use. Yes, of course, guys that race these bikes on a track, would go up to 7500 or even more, but they also do engine re-builds quite often (expensive !).

Quote; "I'm about to drop to a 32 or 30 rear sprocket..i am going to be riding in town mostly...but want to be able to ride 65mph..for 2 hours. about once a week, and not have any troubles being too sluggish off the line."

A 17 front and a 33 rear will work just fine for what you want. 65 mph for 2 hours is not even straining these engines. Last week I rode 650 kms during one day which took about 6.5 hours of riding. I use 17/33 gearing and ride at 100 kms/hr or 62 mph. At that speed my rpm is about 3800.

Perfect well then I'm set I'll drop to a 32 and I'll be set.

I appreciate the help. She has got off road tires....for some reason right now so I'll swap for something a little bit more street friendly...put lead shot in the bars and that should also help

Ya makes sence, I would keep it under 65mph and take my time...probably drop to a 32 or maybe a 30 rear sprocket...

Also there is a chance I have a larger.rear tire. Having my buddy check it tonight (still over seas for another 9 days)
But if so that would also help a bit I hear

If you go down to a 30, the bike is going to be a real slug..................takes the fun out of around town driving, in my opinion.

RG even though my 650 isn't near as taken care of as yours nor do I have a 750 kit, I feel a lot better about some minor touring now, I actually had a really good time going to Kingston exploring the sideways and what not.

And once again RG is correct about the 30, it takes a lot of the oomph out of starts, you'll still pull away from cars but if I could go back I would put a 32 on.

Right on. Ya definitely no 30 then.
Will 32 still give a bit of low end torque.for around town? Or will I feel sluggish with that too?

Same, I'm 23. Longest I did was Toronto to Kingston which is about 250km which is 160 miles. I did 60 the entire way but being passed by 50' trucks wasn't confidence inspiring, neither was every second of the ride praying for your bike not to spontaneously combust. For short jounts no problem but I really like 80 km/h side roads. :bike:

These engines will run 100 km/hr or 62 mph all day long, all week long. They are very tough engines, and are not going to explode. I sense the limitation is more with the driver, certainly not the bike.

I'm from Ontario, and know that area quite well. You would probably enjoy the ride much better, if you took the old #2 highway down to Kingston, and kept away from the 18 wheel transports. Much more scenic as well.

Ok for sure, will dropping 1 tooth in the rear make any noticeable difference though? This only a average drop of about 100 rpm right?

These engines will run 100 km/hr or 62 mph all day long, all week long. They are very tough engines, and are not going to explode. I sense the limitation is more with the driver, certainly not the bike.

I'm from Ontario, and know that area quite well. You would probably enjoy the ride much better, if you took the old #2 highway down to Kingston, and kept away from the 18 wheel transports. Much more scenic as well.

I took the #2 from the giant red apple on, great highway, I loved the forests and cruising through the towns. This is my second season with the bike and I still have some trust issues and some nightmares pushing my bike home for a couple hours, so far so good this season. I'll keep your words in the back of my head next time I'm riding RG, thanks.

I'm very happy with 17/32 and the overdrive 5th gear. 70mph is about 4,000rpm. 60mph is about 55mpg. Could see the 17/30 being a bit slugish on the bottom, but you'll be going quite a bit faster at the top of 1st gear with the throttle open. ;)

EK

I have a stock front gear and a 30 rear with Kawasaki 500 carbs. 60 mpg+ if I stay off the throttle. Plenty of lower end. When I do the fifth gear I will go to a 32 rear.

Back