30 Tooth Rear Sprocket Evaluation

perfect. man, don't get me wrong, i didn't go for a LONG ride.. i just wanted to run the bike through the gears and take her home and double check everything... but when i had her out, it was tip top man. i can't wait to get back on her tomorrow after i make double triple sure.

I'll probably take a link out as well. I just looked at my chain today and found the master link. Just like maxwell, I'll do it on a day I'm not doing something else with the bike...that'll be right around the time the Lions win the Superbowl.

Won't be able to do any riding today as my youngest is home with me and my wife has some plans with her girl friends tonight. Tomorrow is busy in the a.m. but the p.m. may be my next opportunity.

wife has some plans with the girlfriends?! waiting two days to ride your bike after you tinker with it?! see, THAT, my friends, is why i'm never going to get married lol.

all joking aside, you're going to enjoy it.

Oh maxwell my friend, you should seriously consider getting married. For the past 5 years I've been a stay-at-home dad while my wife works. She brings money home for me and never questions when I say I need to get something for my bike. She didn't bat an eye when I just bought a brand spanking new Nikon D7000 camera. All I have to do is chauffeur the kids back and forth to school and the shopping during the week. Occasionally she needs me to do the odd job at her office or a little lawn care. Come October she basically becomes a widow for several months starting with deer season. After that it is wrestling season for my two boys from November to February or March.

I think I have it pretty good. Marry "up". That's the key. And no, she doesn't have a sister. :laugh:

bahahaha! point well taken, sir.

d7000, huh? I got myself a t3i. I'm a freelance journalist :)

but sounds like you got it pretty good, my friend.

My D7000 is just a hobby camera. I picked that camera solely for the purpose of being able to video my boys during wrestling season.

My wife tells me I'm spoiled and I'm inclined to agree. :devil:

lol aw shit, where'd you get it from, best buy? they'll tell you what ever they have to to make a sale - i used to work there lol. how do you like the d7000? the video quality is literally the same as the t2/3i, but the glass is FAR better.

We have a local Meijer Camera Shop (not the Meijer store, mind you) in Midland. I bought it there. I really like the D7k. I took video of my oldest last week during a "Songfest" at school and it was awesome. The picture quality is outstanding!

I don't solicit Best Buy employees' for any information at all. I do all my research here at home through engadget.com and geek.com. Once I make a decision on an item I figure out where to get it. If it happens to be BB then I just walk in and get it.

that's a little documentary i produced for my film class. 4 hours to film, 12 hours to edit ::sigh:: i used a 50 mil for the interviews and used a super wide 10-22 for all the other footage. pretty amazing little device. oh, uh, don't mind the spelling errors "tenants" and "basements"

Today was the first day in a week I've had a chance to really get out on my 650 and evaluate the 30 tooth rear sprocket. Off the line it is no surprise that it's slow. Keeping in mind the fact that I'm looking to:
1. Reduce the vibrations at highway speed.
2. Improve fuel economy overall.
I'd say that I've had success on #1. Have not yet had a chance to calculate mileage so that is going to remain a question for the time being.

At 70 MPH the vibrations are quite tolerable. I'm at about 4,500 RPM, down from 5,000 with the stock 34 tooth sprocket.

Overall I'm satisfied so far. I've heard comments that a 32 tooth is a good compromise and I'd wager that is a very accurate statement. I wouldn't be against trying a 32 tooth but right now I just don't have the extra money. I'm going to make a couple other priority fixes/upgrades before touching the rear sprocket again.

One last thing...I'm probably going to take a few minutes soon and remove a link from the drive chain. I'm right at the end of the adjustment. Just have to find time to do it.

Not to pull up a dead thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on new chain and sprockets (since my front sprocket has a bit of wear I'm of the mind if you replace one you replace all) My question is this: should I just buy a stock length chain and cut it or is there a formula for figuring out what length the chain should be before I order? I am going to drop to a 32 rear since I figure I like the low end and with my girl on the back I don't want to lose too much there ... but I also want to have just a little more top end. Since most of the people I ride with have newer bikes My 29 yr old mistress struggles to keep up :laugh: Anyway, though I have the ability and knowledge of how to shorten the chain I would rather just buy one that fits without having to do so. Any help on this is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I just did the 17/30 change recently and it works well for me. Most of my riding is 60mph or less and the puts the rpm's at or below 3500 which is a sweet spot for my bike. It really runs smooth at those rev's. I bought a 102 link chain for the new gears and that seems good. It put's the adjusters at about the 3rd mark back, so plenty of room to adjust. I used RK's x-ring chain on sale for about $85, hopefully the last chain it will ever need.

Buy the 104 link chain as with all new parts, you'll probably need it. 102 might be just a hair too short with a 32. Once the chain stretches a little, you can then probably remove a link if you wanted.

I run 17/30 on my 750 rephase have to slip clutch a bit on take off,but once on the move its all good,have only had 1 go at full throtle & it pulled up a bit short (155kms) so next time I get a new chain might try 32/17(shortened my chain so no going back)did run this gearing on std 650 it was ok,some one mention about slipping a 6th gear in,well I guy over here is trying to build one ,go to aussie club & click on Geffs Turbo, good read & amazing bike

I've been running 18T front/31T rear on my '82 Heritage Special (16 inch rear wheel) for about a year, riding in mostly flat country here in SE Michigan, and like it a lot. I never rode the bike with the original 17T/34T combo, so don't have that point of reference to compare, but at 50-60 mph, rpm's are in the mid-to upper-middle 3000's, mirrors clear. One thing I did to get smooth, strong starts was to retard the ignition timing per XSJohn's advice - he was pretty strong on making this change when gearing up these bikes.

Joining the foum years late haha

Is there a forum on retarding the ignition timing?

I'm about to drop to a 32 or 30 rear sprocket..i am going to be riding in town mostly...but want to be able to ride 65mph..for 2 hours. about once a week, and not have any troubles being too sluggish off the line.

Any advice?
Thanks

Back